VHF repeaters

ab1974

....for those who wish to upgrade their VHF to a full DSC unit...a bonus.

You can buy a DSC , VHF which has full onboard AIS for less than $300 Ozzie (via the US). This is as cheap as just a AIS reciever. The reason is AIS is transmited on a VHF channel so to add it in is not that hard. The brand is "Standard Horizon" A number of the guys here have this unit and it works very well. If you wish to intergrate it with your chart plotter you will need to look at your NMEA ports. You need both a high and low speed set of ports. You may have to buy a NMEA multipexer to allow for all the NMEA ins and outs. One of the best is made in NZ.

cheers

....for those who wish to upgrade their VHF to a full DSC unit...a bonus.

You can buy a DSC , VHF which has full onboard AIS for less than $300 Ozzie (via the US). This is as cheap as just a AIS reciever. The reason is AIS is transmited on a VHF channel so to add it in is not that hard. The brand is "Standard Horizon" A number of the guys here have this unit and it works very well. If you wish to intergrate it with your chart plotter you will need to look at your NMEA ports. You need both a high and low speed set of ports. You may have to buy a NMEA multipexer to allow for all the NMEA ins and outs. One of the best is made in NZ.

cheers

f*ck and here was i thinking sailing was all about the wind and sails, who exactly is helming, enjoying the beeze/sunlight/vista and getting that "pull the sheet on and the boat moves" thrill that has been with me personally since I was about 3yo (L4, the family frightener, has been in the family since 1954) if you're stuck glued to a screen a squarking and babbling to all in sundry

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well this thread came to a standstill pretty quick eh??

I'm looking at this equipment at the moment so found the info really useful Idlerboat, so cheers for that.

Yes AIS is more hard earned cash but in 40+ knots, breaking waves and negative visablity while you are in a shipping channel it will be the best money you ever spent, it saved out bacon and beats pushing the red button or making that call!

How would you get on in this situation L4?...

Thats aqbout $600 NZ dollars landed so a bit of a reach. I looked into these standard horizon vhf's and they look great. You don't need a splitter or another antenna so saves a bit there. They also have all the bells and whistles included so great value indeed. I agree ais is a great safety feature. Even better when all the buoys are included in the system.

I'm trying to set up my system with nmea so am going to get one of these brookhouse multiplexer thingos. I want to run a wind transducer, depth, ais ,gps and autopilot through the system. I'll probably instal a furuno ls 4100 fish finder which will also display the mentioned devices as well as the computer below. Also feed the vhf the gps data. And thats what I thought would be a simple system!

If the Standard Horizon unit you are talking about is the 'Standard Horizon Matrix GX2150 AIS ' then you know that it is only an AIS receiver - in other words it does not broadcast your position to other AIS units - so it does not make you any more visable to other vessels unless you send a DSC call of make a voice call.

If there is another model that can send and receive as an AIS unit please let me know.

Hey L4,,

dark night , weather getting worse, a single flashing red light to mark and entrance to a secure bay. You either stay out all night....take the risk of kissing the rocks...or do "an instruments only landing" !

I have done a few of these in situations where if you could see the rock on the side of the entance you would be on the ones under the surface. Love my flashin, beepin, gizmo.

Have a look at S 39,02.272 E 146,28.185 (wgs84) google earth will put you in the middle of the entrance, the pic "facing north " shows the entance, (its actual more east)

refuge cove looking out.JPG

Taken by me the next morning...

Rigger that or the 2100 are the units that I was talking about and you are right to point out that they are AIS recievers not transponders.

The 2150 is the later version that has variable baud rates and only needs a single channel on your chart plotter.

(and is about $100 US more).

I have not been able to find a cheap transponder yet, but Im still looking.

Hey L4,,

dark night , weather getting worse, a single flashing red light to mark and entrance to a secure bay. You either stay out all night....take the risk of kissing the rocks...or do "an instruments only landing" !

I have done a few of these in situations where if you could see the rock on the side of the entance you would be on the ones under the surface. Love my flashin, beepin, gizmo.

Have a look at S 39,02.272 E 146,28.185 (wgs84) google earth will put you in the middle of the entrance, the pic "facing north " shows the entance, (its actual more east)

[attachment=0]refuge cove looking out.JPG[/attachment]

Taken by me the next morning...

Rigger that or the 2100 are the units that I was talking about and you are right to point out that they are AIS recievers not transponders.

The 2150 is the later version that has variable baud rates and only needs a single channel on your chart plotter.

(and is about $100 US more).

I have not been able to find a cheap transponder yet, but Im still looking.

many years ago I was tuna trolling out of a wee port called Depoe bay on the mid to northern oregon coast, you want narrow crap ya pants type entrances then check it out on google earth, also drift gill netted the columbia river bar for salmon so no new comer to coastal work, think the oddest one I did in my time on that coast was a delivery from kodiak alaska to san fran with a dragger( trawler) picked up fog at the farallones and didnt see a thing till abreast of alcatraz, fair amount of very spookey noise overhead from the golden gate though

L4..thats the point

many years ago I was tuna trolling out of a wee port called Depoe bay on the mid to northern oregon coast, you want narrow crap ya pants type entrances then check it out on google earth, also drift gill netted the columbia river bar for salmon so no new comer to coastal work, think the oddest one I did in my time on that coast was a delivery from kodiak alaska to san fran with a dragger( trawler) picked up fog at the farallones and didnt see a thing till abreast of alcatraz, fair amount of very spookey noise overhead from the golden gate though
I am but a humble sailor who dosnt want to wreck my home.

I am but a humble sailor.

HUrmpth..sorry i just choaked on my beer..

...serious thread drift, but here is a pic of L4s depoe bay marina entrance. A chart plotter isnt going to help much here, unless you use it as a fender... Well beyond my testicle size....

depoe bay , oregon.jpg

Archived