Strange hot water tank leak.

I fitted a 50 litre Saur hot water tank and found out when we connected it that we had water dripping quite fast out of the overflow valve at the bottom of the tank.When we went back to Bricolage where we bought the tank the guy there said that we have very high water pressure in our area and should fit a water pressure reducer valve. we fitted it and to get the water drip to slow down but still not stop completely we had to turn the pressure way down which in turn gave us problems with the shower it takes up to 20 minutes for the shower to work, if we turn the pressure valve back up shower works instantly but the water drip gets worse. Can't seem to stop the drip completely anybody got any ideas? I can't believe that it's normal to have a drip continually from the overflow valve it would be such a waste.[ it is cold water that's dripping not hot]. Any help would be much appreciated as ran out of ideas.thanks

Had the same problem on a launch recently. There was a tap on the shower head turned off but the mixer on the shower was on. What was happening was the cold water overcame the lower pressure hot, fed back through the hot water outlet into the hot water tank, overpressurising it and making the pressure relief valve drip. So, does it have a mixer or taps leading to a single point turned on? Conceivably a faulty mixer could cause the same problem.

I see the plumbing link has now been removed. I am not sure if this is a ligit post or not. I apologise if it is, but seeing as the poster has made this comment

where we bought the tank the guy there said that we have very high water pressure in our area and should fit a water pressure reducer valve
I am assuming it is not Boat related.

But Zen, your comment is interesting. So how come you had lower presure on the Hot water?? Normally it's all the same pressure.

Really?

I thought that that was why they had a pressure reducing valve before the cylinder. And I guess why the hot tap always runs slower than the cold. I'm no expert.

Hmmm, I guess it depends on the type and the manufacturer should give details on if it is a pressure type or not. The relief valve is supposed to be there for over pressure due to expanding water as it heats.

On the water dripping - need to check the overflow valve - if a bit of debris gets stuck in there you will get a leak - higher pressure more water leaking.

Archived