Steel Boat Repair

Our steel yacht - a Ganley Shadow 34 - has some rusting to the interior. We have been following up various leads on processes for rust removal and recoating of the interior and would be interested to hear from anyone who has had this work done on a steel boat Auckland / Northland area . Any recommendations on contractors and haul out facilities would be appreciated. :)

I thought span farm was long gone? I suggest soda blasting if the area is of reasonable size, easier clean up etc. Also consider metal (zinc) spraying if is this is an area that is hard to access or is inclined to getting wet, head / shower / wet gear locker etc. Norsand in Whangarei is a good yard, they have a 1/2 price haul out in the quiet winter months, august / september (I think).

Most of the interior of the boat is in reasonable condition, with some paint flaking but there is minor pitting of the plate in the lower areas of the bilge. Also where the toilet has been leaking water has been sitting along the adjacent strut which is badly rusted. The anchor well is fairly badly rusted where it meets the deck.

Mainly the interior really needs recoating for long term protection but before this can be done we need to get the rust sorted.

Toilets!! It seems to be the most common enemy of all Steel Boats.

Well the extreme is to strip the guts out and sandblast and paint with a proper "System". It's a major job and expensive and can be heart breaking. However, i don't think you are at that stage yet.

The easiest is to use a rattle gun and hammer the rust away down to clean Steel and them rust treat, prime and undercoat and topcoat with a good protection system.

Ensure you have good drainage at all points that collect water. No or too small limber holes are a common issue. Allow water to sit and you end up with a problem in years to come. So check all areas that could capture water. It only takes a leaky window somewhere.

For very small area's, treat with a Rust killer. There are plenty types available. I prefer straight Phosphoric acid types first. That soaks right in. Then you can use a good primer. I must find the name again of the water based primer I used once on a trailer. It was absolutely brilliant.

If you have paint flaking off, then eventually you are going to have to go with the first suggestion.

Archived