Sailing in the Tamaki Strait

johnMi

I went sailing on Zen today in the Pine Harbour winter race and I realised again why it's just so great sailing in these waters. We had about 18 boats in a beautiful fresh SW breeze on a harbour course to passage rock, rocky bay and back.

I've sailed in these waters for over 30yrs, and if I could find somewhere to keep my boat on the hard with the mast up I'd do it in a shot.

They've got some good boats here (seems most of them are Hanses) that I could have some good tussles with, as well as being close to the good cruising grounds

(Plus Pineharbour is only 5 kms from home)

He rum races solo too

That's the 1020 I presume?

Agree that racing out in open spaces - either down Pine Harbour or up off the northern bays is just excellent.

Yep, even sailing with Weiti is great.

must be the unhampered breeze, and no 'wind against tide' effect.

I still think it is a bit of a shame that the western side of the harbour bridge is not used more in a SW. It's good clear air out there, and usually not too bad for chop either.

Is there a bouy that could be utilized up near Kauri Point?

Wal,

It was the 1020.

Was hanging in there too.

Tamaki and ecb are goo racing areas but for most, except of course those in the tropics, it takes some time to get there.

West of the bridge is a limited due to depth issues due to reefs and watchman island.

Archived