Round the Island Race - that's Cowes UK.

Clive

Love the idea of a combined fleet Round-Rangi. Have done the Richmond and Ponsonby versions, prefer the one where everyone goes the same way but happy to do either. Be great to get something of the same sort of stature as the Round-the-Island race, it looks amazing.

I did ROI when I was up there. Sailed on a X99 and go 2nd in class and top 10 in Division. I have a fantastic Beken of Cowes photo of us passing St Catherines Point with everything trimmed beautifully and me on the tiller.

Personally I prefer Cowes Week as the parties are bigger and you get to see all the boats - both the classic day boats and the Grand Prix glamours.I've done 3 now.

And further thread drift - the XOD day boats are celebrating their centenary at Cowes. They have over 140 entries. Not bad for an old boat.

Have done 4 Cowes weeks, 1 Cork week, 1 Fastnet and 3 ROI’s.

Usually they are combined clubs sailing under a combined clubs flag. Fantastic parties afterwards, take your pick from marquees to clubs that are open to all.

Did it on a cunningly disguised 48ftr, had a short keel so the mumm 30’s beached on Bembridge ledge before us, or after us mostly. For some reason they shouted at us that we lead them on. Trimmed mainsheet on the crew deck, nice comfy leather squabs to lay upon camembert and quince snacks, champagne at the needles, Harrods’s hampers at lunchtime, cold beer, no diesel, the token gesture to racing.

Short tacking gave me a sore thumb as you had to hold your thumb on the button longer as the battery slowly got flatter.

Big party afterwards, bigger hangover the next day.

Was great to see Playstation on the start line towering over everyone with police boats clearing a path for it. I think there were nearly 2000 boats on the start line that year also, they were trying for 2000 for 2000.

Combined clubs in Akld raising money for clubs from the shaky city in the great southern land might be a good cause.

Needs bouncy castles with some nice skimpily clad bouncy things onboard serving our favorite beverage for us to tag on the way round.

Divisional start so we all finish at nearly the same time. Big party in the middle somewhere, bigger bouncy castle required.

Other than costs all entry fees income to Christchurch Clubs.

Archived