Tiller Pilot - what to buy

ab1974

I have the TP10 which works really well but often disengages downhill in any more than a 2m swell. However - I'm not really being fair on the unit as it really is a bit underpowered for the yacht......my mistake in the first place. Still worth it though - makes a huge difference.

Right, about to purchase a Simrad TP.

Having read the instruction manual it says:

The Tillerpilot houses an internal fluxgate compass and

should therefore be mounted away from sources of magnetic

interference, such as the vessel’s steering compass or

external loudspeakers. The minimum safe distance is 1m

(3 ft 3 in). to place the TP atleast one meter away from items that may interfear

My cockpit speakers which are already fitted will be within 1m (probably closer to 500mm actually) from the unit.

Anyone else fitted a TP close to their speakers and did it have much impact on performance??

Here are a couple from Craigslist. I've noticed tilerpilots tend to go quickly, so you may have to repeat the search every few days if these have already been bought. (I Googled "craiglist tiller pilot" and "craigslist tillerpilot")

BTW, I got mine free from a friend who got it with a boat he bought and later sold. He didn't even know what it was. It wasn't functional by the time I got it, but I opened it up, and in about two minutes unfroze the little electric motor inside, and now it works perfectly. So there's hope for the "non-functioning" ones.

Looking to buy a tiller pilot for my Elliot 7.9.

Any thoughts / feedback on the Simrad / Raymarine or others?

Main be used when shorthanded when doing sail changes or motoring.

Do I need one or am I better off with a simple rope / shock cord system?

Try a girlfriend, wife, sailing mate. Cooks, smiles, keeps you busy & warm on cold wet nights. Gawd you's guy's is thick, sometimes. james

Looking to buy a tiller pilot for my Elliot 7.9.

Any thoughts / feedback on the Simrad / Raymarine or others?

Main be used when shorthanded when doing sail changes or motoring.

Do I need one or am I better off with a simple rope / shock cord system?

Try a girlfriend, wife, sailing mate. Cooks, smiles, keeps you busy & warm on cold wet nights. Gawd you's guy's is thick, sometimes. james

Thats the best, most legible thing you've said on this forum, ever.

My Tp32 is making noises now and I wonder at the cost to repair. Its a bit small for my Racing Supertanker34 but I believe its the biggest available. I hooked mine to the garmin handheld gps via nmea which made it more reliable. Using the satelite as a compass now so no worries with the fluxgate picking up interference. I can also set a goto waypoint which I do by setting the sails and course then put a waypoint at the end of the pointer on the chart. Its ok as long as the winds not veering too much.

Would be great if we had a locally made, affordable windvane that is easy to set. Maybe just a pendulum rudder controlled by tillerpilot. That is the power comes from the pendulum and the control from the tiller pilot. The pilot would not have to use much force to turn the pendulum rudder which would make it last longer.

Archived