Our boats been on a tikitour

wheels

Gisborne is being hammered by a big Southerly swell and it is creating a huge surge into the Marina. The Concrete finger our boat is tied to broke free and decided to do a Dead ant Impersonation. They had to cut all the lines to our boat and hooked a fishing boat toi her and took her down and moored her to the wall against some tyes, till they could get a new berth sorted for us. Late that day they managed to get her back in a new berth, but there is a bit of damage apparently. Oh joy.

So we are off down to Gisborne tomorrow to put some new lines on her and sort out the power, which was ripped out. And we had a Full Freezer of meat and veges, but what is worse of all, there is Hokey Pokey Icecream in there. I am not sure how long the freezer will stay frozen for, but the inverter will run it for a couple of days I reckon, before the batteries are too low.

Geez Wheels, this trip north has turned into a bit of a bloody nightmare for you guys.

Hope the damage to the boat's is minimal.

And it's only hokey pokey - I'd be upset if it was boysenberry ripple.............

It's OK everyone, the icecream is still frozen. Phewww!!!!!!

Pity the boat wasn't better though. We have a small hole punched clean thgrough the hull. Thankfully about 250mm above the waterline. Although the Marina is so dirty at the moment (Plunger coffee has better visibility) I have no clue as to what maybe below the waterline, apart from, we don't have water coming in, so it maybe just some paint scratches.

The belting has been smashed, but hey, that's what it is there for in an extreme situation. The capping has been broken and the sheet track has been the only thing holding it together. One staunchion has been snapped at the weld and severl bent, along with the railing. A little paint here and there. But all in all, it's all fixable and could have been severely worse.

For all us complaining about the cold in Auckland, well it's nothing, trust me. It is bitterly cold here. We are going to try and get most stuff sorted tosdqy and head home later. It's miserable. A stark difference to the Taraunga/Whakatane side, which was just stunning yesterday coming down. The sea was flat as a pancake, a slight ripple of wave about 100mm high coming on to the shore. White Island in clear view and could even see the steam from it. We could see all the way to east cape clearly and couldn't believe the stark contrast, knowing what was around the otherside of that point.

It's OK everyone, the icecream is still frozen. Phewww!!!!!!

Well that's the main thing!

Good to hear the damage is not too bad Wheels.

It's not very warm in Wellington either...

We got the major issues sorted. Hole in hull is now fixed, got all the bilge pump problem sorted, although that was nothing to do with this incident. I am going to make a new topic in regards to Bilge pumps, so keep an eye open for that. I really wanted to get the Headsail repaired, but the rain put a stop to that. So after a big clean up, we decided to come home again last night. Too darn cold. The Marine weather report was 30kts easy to 20 and seas easing to 3m. We went and had a look at the beach on the way out and the seas had greatly reduced. In fact if it wasn't for the fact that we had the car and that it was so darn cold, it probably would have been an OK sail along the coast and around the cape.....maybe....or perhaps in thinking about it, that Cape may be a bit of a washing machine, but you only have to get around it and the otherside was so flat, it was actualy a mirror when we drove across to that side last night. Such a contrast.

Archived