Manufacturing of the Toro34

For those that were wondering if the Toro 34 project was real or just a nice idea and vapor ware. Have a look at the production video on there web site www.designcatamaran.com The company also just announce they just finalized the sale of the first unit and Toro #2 will be produce following the launch of unit #1 which should be completed in about 4 weeks.

They also made some last minute changes to the boat.THe hulls are now Epoxy infused instead of Vinylester which is great no long lasting smells butalso with the use of epoxy no Osmose . The boat will also be delivered with full carbon rudder system ( cassette, tiller arms, and tiller crossbar.

Really looks like these guys have there act together and will be delivering a quality boat

Anxious to see how it will perform on the water but it looks promissing

For those that were wondering if the Toro 34 project was real or just a nice idea and vapor ware. Have a look at the production video on there web site http://www.designcatamaran.com The company also just announce they just finalized the sale of the first unit and Toro #2 will be produce following the launch of unit #1 which should be completed in about 4 weeks.

They also made some last minute changes to the boat.THe hulls are now Epoxy infused instead of Vinylester which is great no long lasting smells butalso with the use of epoxy no Osmose . The boat will also be delivered with full carbon rudder system ( cassette, tiller arms, and tiller crossbar.

Really looks like these guys have there act together and will be delivering a quality boat

Anxious to see how it will perform on the water but it looks promissing

G'day 'Sexy-pants'. Nice - very nice. No prices in their price list though. Strange that.

But - why oh why - not 'canted hulls'? - curved beams? curved c/b's. Bit strange to not go the whole hog from the very beginning. All the above - cost very little extra & make the vessel much quicker, stiffer & with a much better - righting-moment. Can't figure out why? Any comments? Ciao, james

SR I guess what you are after looks more like this?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr ... at-builder

G'day 'A-A' Yea - that's going in the right direction, generally speaking. Nice boat but I can't see if the hulls are canted?You blokes race a class of multihulls that seems to include some modified GBEs, The Green Machine & other multi's. I don't know the rules of the class but that's not he point here. By the way - I don't think that boat's all that light. Should be bullet-proof though.

Points are; IMHO

1/ NZ multi's are quick on the world stage, quick sailors too.

2/ NZ builds the best Carbon masts, beams etc etc. ask Tim!!

3/ Canted hulls produce a stiffer righting moment for weigh.

4/ Curved beams are stiffer for weight than straight ones.

5/ Light weight laminates are easy to 'home build' in NZ.

6/ Light stiff, fast boats are fun to sail.

7/ Such multi's would fit into the current rule they sail in.

8/ The more affordable they are the more of them there will be

9/ The more there are the better the racing.

10/ Better racing = more boats = more affordable = more fun = more presentations = more sponsors = more prizes = more parties = much more rum - then we go around in a nice tight (hick) circle.

11/ Some selected multi's could be built with 6 extra layers of Carbon & Kevlar under LWL, pop-up c/b & rudders.

12/ = Some Skippers could then get around some - hard bits & be able to race the next weekend = much less overall cost.

13/ Faster, safer, less breakages (groundings) stronger rigs (without a weight penalty) cause boat was lighter.

Good sailors logic here - all - win - win - win - - as I see it.

NZ designs in '66 & '82 showed the way to make light, stiff, canted hull multi's that are quick, work & don't break (well not to easily anyway). Multi's that can race & still have enough room inside for the 'cheese & kisses', kids, fridge & cold liquid refreshments, ice, stove & 'chilli' (see Squidly for recipe) !!!

Can't figure why you's guy's are doing it. I'm to bloody old but if it was my 'bent ' I recon I could pull it off. Ciao, james

In terms of pricing the last time I checked with Design Catamaran, introductory price was set at $ 160,000 canadian dollars including telescopic trailer and sails. (North Sail 3DL carbon material for the jib & main and Aramid sail cloth for the Code 0 screacher )

Very reasonable price for a quality boat & component

I am not on the payroll however I am a personal friend of one of the investor . That is why I have a bit more info on the boat. I do not have any personal interest other then to see my friend succeed. Ah yeah also I cant wait to go sailing with him on this boat

I will tell my friend to register to your forum and possibly take an add. This way he will be able to answer any questions directly about the project as there seems to be some interest and concerns.

I am not on the payroll however I am a personal friend of one of the investor . That is why I have a bit more info on the boat. I do not have any personal interest other then to see my friend succeed. Ah yeah also I cant wait to go sailing with him on this boat

I will tell my friend to register to your forum and possibly take an add. This way he will be able to answer any questions directly about the project as there seems to be some interest and concerns.

G'day 'Sex-tant'. Thanks for all the - good-oil. Sure does look like a great boat. I'd sure like to be in a position to go for a ride as well. Still wish someone would answer some of my questions. I very much hope they join - our little mob - & come in & answer all the questions we all might have. I'm sure as heck we'd love to have them in here. Can't do anything but good for everyone. Thanks again, james

At the risk of sounding negative, a boat built in Canada is unlikely to sell in NZ as we could build the same thing for less here. (That is why O Canada was built here) The reason I say this is that I personally would welcome the input from the designers, and builders etc and their wisdom and knowledge that would add value to this forum. They can do all that without appearing to be advertising.

At the risk of sounding negative, a boat built in Canada is unlikely to sell in NZ as we could build the same thing for less here. (That is why O Canada was built here) The reason I say this is that I personally would welcome the input from the designers, and builders etc and their wisdom and knowledge that would add value to this forum. They can do all that without appearing to be advertising.

Hay 'A-A' - I resemble that remark - as an ex-pat Canuck in OZ.

But can we make a boat to get down Lake Ontario in the winter, or with enough ice on board to keep the drinks cold?

You are right of course, we could all gain from their knowledge - if they don't just give us 'sales speel'.

Can they add enough Kevlar to the bottoms to avoid damage when 'rounding' islands on the race course? Seems we need that!!

Ciao, james

The pricing of this Toro does appear to be less than what had been bantered around with regards to a locally made version. Knot sure your 100% correct there AA. But they would probably be very close by the time you freight and so on.

You could of course be right KM but if I agreed with you what would be the fun in that! My guess is that if O Canada could have been built in Canada it would have been - they're a fiercely loyal bunch those Canucks, and for them to build it here meant there were compelling reasons, and one of those would most likely have been cost - and more than just a few pesos difference. So Na KM YOU'RE WRONG! Of course we could build it cheaper here - and better to boot!!! :lol:

You know I'm never wrong........ stop trying to kid yourself ;)

Besides I have chatted to Sextant about that vessel and the Toro is quite a bit different than the Hakes built boat. Assuming equal costs I'd go the Toro, no hesitation. More room and a inside to stack the rum and the visiting Canadian Female Beach Volleyball team.

When I win Powerball I'll buy 2 Toros, one for me to use and one to sit on a well locked trailer outside your house. And just to piss you off further I'll give JH a set of keys to it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived