Reefing while on the water and reefing with a jib

Super! Thanks Grant. I'll do that, at least for the several months it will probably take me to make a furler that works.

And I've been checking out quick reefing systems for the mainsail. Something like this looks good:

http://barnaclebillholcomb.blogspot.com/2011/09/single-line-reefing-system.html

I might even try bringing the halyards back into the cockpit, although it might get a little crowded.

The jibs not your problem the main is.

Used to have the same reefing holes in the P class back in the day. You reefed before you left the beach. I can't see you doing anything to the main without capsizing to do it and that looks like a cluster%^& in the making. Does the main handle being reefed? i.e. Have the reef points got enough backing?

If it was me I would look at dropping the main completely when caught out - but that is going to be problematic also.

Hi Rocket,

yep, I agree -- I'm giving away the idea of furling the jib. Grant's recommendation for dropping the jib works great. (Thanks for comment MayOttie - I'd still be keen to see it for interest's sake).

The single-line reefing system that I linked to above works brilliantly. Well, I haven't tried it on the water yet, but it works great in a dry-land trial. I'm needing to get some stronger cord, and a couple of extra pulleys to bring the halyards back into the cockpit, before I can go for a proper trial on the water. A job I'm keen to finish this week. So, I should shortly be at the stage of being able to drop the jib and reef the main while never letting go of the tiller. I'll make a YouTube video when I'm all done.

The reef points at the tack and clew are strong enough to do the job. The shape of the main looks good when reefed, but I haven't sailed the boat reefed yet.

Thanks all.

Archived