Big Swell

Man that was an epic swell here on the east coast. I was in Napier for a haulout and when i was ready to go back to gisborne that huge low came by. Met had it at 30 knots southerly so I thought thats ok but it was more like 50 knots!

I sat it out but went for a look at the entrance to the Napier harbour and waves were breaking out on the reef and rumbling right past the habout entrance. Predict wind had them at 4 to 6 metres! I left Napier last Saturday and had a great sail till I got past Portland and the wind died for most of the morning. Swell was still large , easterly and fast moving about 9 second period. Also a sw swell about one metre and back wash off Portland.

When I left the harbour surfers were out both sides of the entrance, had to dodge a couple paddling about. I had a ten knot southerly across the Hawkes bay so spent the night flying along at hull speed with my genoa flying. Surreal. :D

Not too bad at Napier near the yacht club but the locals thought it was terrible. I think pretty rough at the Iron Pot. Gisborne was ok I heard from a fisherman. It was an easterly swell so Gissy would have been well protected. The old fisheman told me that it was the biggest swell he had seen in the region. Getting back into gissy was easy as the swell dropped a lot on sunday. Fun sailing. :D

Not too bad at Napier near the yacht club but the locals thought it was terrible. I think pretty rough at the Iron Pot. Gisborne was ok I heard from a fisherman. It was an easterly swell so Gissy would have been well protected. The old fisheman told me that it was the biggest swell he had seen in the region. Getting back into gissy was easy as the swell dropped a lot on sunday. Fun sailing. :D

G'day cobber. aka bbay aka "28'-surfin-boy", eh? Bet you had a blast of a time. Imagin a surfin 'H' - set any speed records? Glad you had lots of wind with all those big seas left over. Wish I'd been there. Bet you can't get the grin offa-your-dial. How'er your plans going for the future? Mine have stalled somewhat but I'm still working at them. How is the 'boss', the house, the musical toy??? Pamela's & my best to y'all. Keep those batteries charged with more sailing. Catch-ya bloke. Ciao, james

You got it James, getting lock jaw. Making progress on the house and the guitars ready to glue the top on so I'll be starting the neck soon. Blokes coming around to value the place monday.

Archived