spinnaker pole question

Terry B

Hi all, my spinnaker pole jams at one end - a bit of corrosion in the mechanism by the looks of it. I've tried spraying stuff inside the pole thru where the release wire exits the pole and into the beak itself but it has only marginally improved it.

My plan is to drill out the 3 rivets holding the end in the pole, remove it, clean it up with a bit of emery paper and rivet it back together. No big deal I hope. And I'll do both ends as I'm sure the other one will jam up the moment I fix the first one!!!!! :roll:

My question is this: when it's cleaned up, what lubrication should I put on it so I can maximise the time between "pull a parts" - given most of the mechanism is inside the pole?

Axle grease; dry glide; ky jelly????????? :lol:

Or nothing?

A regular spraying of Dry Glide is the best maintenance once they are cleaned out. Sticking grease etc on the ends just gets really messy.

But.... Make sure when you stick the pole end back in the pole for the final fitout you put something between the Pole end and the Tube, Like ideally Tef-Gel to stop the end fizzing into the pole tube. If i had a beer for everytime i have had to cut the end of a kite pole in the rigging shed because it has fizzed itself and welded itself together i wouldnt need to buy beers for at least a month!

The other alternative which is also far far easier is to change to the Plastic Forespar ends. - Go and see Rick and team at KZ Marine or ask your local rigger for them. I have just changed my boat to them and can go sailing anytime knowing they will work and don't need any maintenance...

http://www.forespar.com/products/sail-p ... ings.shtml

www.kzmarine.co.nz

Thanks for that Marshy.

Thought about new ends but got more "important" boat things to "invest" money in at the moment............................

Will get some Tef-Gel (never heard of it until you mentioned it).

Between the pole and other boat projects, my Tuesday evening is now fully booked!

Archived