Changed impellor now wont pump water after sailing

I imagine the impellor has been damaged. They do not like trying to suck air for very long. Only seconds can damage them. Most especially if it is a new impellor. It is most important to ensure water is in the pump before starting or to ensure there is a good water based lub placed around the impellor. Glycerol is good, KY jelly, and I have also used Lanocote. Do NOT use grease or any petroleum based product as that will wreck the rubber.

Pales, I would simply fit a new impellor and I reckon that will solve the problem. Johnson impellors come with a lub, but if you don't get a tube of something, just use what I have suggested above and you should be fine. You need somethign that will protect the impellor for about 10 to 15seconds till the water is sucked up. If it is dry, it won't lkast the 10seconds.

Also ensure you have the little rubber washer thing that fits over the shaft at the cover end. That can cause problems if you miss it out.

Well Mr Wheels you were dead correct. I changed the lines, cleaned out the water filter (replaced the O-ring on the filter as well) stareted her up..damn no water. Repaced impellor with my new purchase from Burnsco which with heaps of lub and gaskets and pumped water moreless straight away. The old impellor looked Ok but obviously was Knot. Thanks for the suggestions everybody :D

I know it's a bit obvious but now you've got things working make sure you buy another new impellor now to keep as spare and don't be temptefd to keep the old one as a spare cos you have proven it doesn't work, despite looking ok!

Archived