More raw water pump woes.

A couple of questions for the wise men.

I have a Johnson (F35B-9 I think) pump where the bolts holding it onto the engine lie on either side of the shaft. I presume that there is a gasket there. I now have water (salt) leaking from one of the bolt holes. I only noticed it today and I presume that it is coming from the impellor and through the bearing. Up until now I have had no water in the oil and I didn't run it long enough today to find out.

Has the seal gone and, if so, I presume that it means a couple of oil changes and a new seal? Would I need to do anything else to the engine?

Can I just unbolt the pump and service it or will I get an oil flow back? Who'd have parts for/service an old pump?

Thanks.

Quick google shows:

http://www.pumpvendor.com/Johnson_Pump_List.html

There are two pumps F35B-9 and F35B-902.

It would pay to get the correct details first.

Take a digital camera and take photos of your engine, major parts, labels, gearbox, alternator etc.

Easy then to download and insert from file into M$ Excel where you can add your own comments etc. Also makes it easy to remember what connections different bits of equipment have.

Photos of the masthead are useful to study before going aloft, and easily taken when the mast is next out.

I can't find a number on the pump. So I googled the cover (which is Johnson) number (10-32412-1) and it gave me:-

http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/joh ... 2412-1.pdf

In profile it looks like my pump - hence the no F35B-9 but now I notice that 10-32412-1 it is the document number and not the cover number. :cry: . Further googling shows that it is not quite the same - has 4 screws holding it to the engine instead of 2.

I've been to your new link and they are all different, although they attach to the engine with some sort of gasket held in place by the screws.

Can I remove the whole pump?

If I have got water into the engine, will 2 oil changes be all that is needed?

Yes you can remove it and no oil will come out. If you have not run the engine, then simply drain the oil just a little. Water if any, will be on the bottom and will come out first. One change will be all you need to do. If you have run the engine, then check for a grey colour in the oil and a couple of changes with a cheap oil would be a good idea. You may not have any water at all.

Yes you can remove it and no oil will come out. If you have not run the engine, then simply drain the oil just a little. Water if any, will be on the bottom and will come out first. One change will be all you need to do. If you have run the engine, then check for a grey colour in the oil and a couple of changes with a cheap oil would be a good idea. You may not have any water at all.

Thanks! Only problem is the engine has a built-in drain pump and it is hard to get the last few ml's out.

I wonder who might have the necessary seals and gaskets for the pump?

aren't these camshaft drive pumps fitted with 2 seals/ orings with a vented space in between to prevent water entering oil and vica versa ?

So maybe it just needs a service and new seals.

aren't these camshaft drive pumps fitted with 2 seals/ orings with a vented space in between to prevent water entering oil and vica versa ?

Some do and some don't. In this case, this one doesn't. But I also don't think water, or at least much of it can get right through the pump into the engine internals. The water would have to get through the bearings and seals first.

Took out the pump and …….

yes it has two seals with a space between them which is vented through 4 holes to the exterior. It has O-rings for a seal where it attaches to the engine. Not much else.

No water in the oil. All looks sweet.

Archived