Have I missed something?

Atom Ant

Abu Dhabi skipper Ian Walker agreed, saying that the fleet was certainly one of the most competitive ever

Call me old fashioned but I thought in order to finish first, first you had to finish. How in hell can the fleet be considered competitive when 33.3% of them didn't make it past Gibraltar, and in total 50% didn't even make it half way through the first leg?

Have I missed something? :crazy:

Speeds between the top 4 boats were pretty simillar. And at the speed these things go anything is possible. This is what he might have been saying. In the old days of slow boats you could be far enough in front, have a major f up and still recover. It's a bit like the AC45s compared to the mono slugs.

Disagree - they have wrecked this race - it is about as competitive as pooh sticks.

Can't find anything to be excited about - a massive yawn.

Real shame what "commercial interests" have done to an iconic event...

I guess the trend in exciting yacht racing slow boats = better / more commpeditive racing?

Fast yachts look cool but the best matchracing is defiantly done in slow boats.

I guess the trend in exciting yacht racing slow boats = better / more commpeditive racing?

Hmmm not sure I agree as match racing in the AC45's has shown that fast & furious still provides excellent match racing. I saw ETNZ go from 1st to 5th then back to 2nd in a very short race so I still think that the cats are providing much better spectator viewing of sailing than anything else has to date. The match racing in the UK was simply awesome to watch - once it was unblocked on Youtube by which ever lying bastard blocked it in the first place.

Agree with Rocket (although I had to Google Pooh Sticks). Its become a spectacle for people that work in office blocks and never leave their flat screens and Xbox in the weekends rather than get out and get their hands dirty. Sure if that's where the sponsors money is then its a natural progression but still a shame.

The technology is amazing but it just doesn't have the nuts of RTW in a couple of stops and a blast through the southern ocean.

Personally I think you can achieve both with todays media technology - media direct off the boats anywhere in the world means you could stick to the old race formula but still generate some awesome media coverage but preserve the hardcore nature of the challenge it used to be. Run the harbour races in the few places they stop but don't dilute the challenge.

BTW - Poohsticks is a game first mentioned in The House at Pooh Corner, a Winnie-the-Pooh book by A. A. Milne. It is a simple game which may be played on any bridge over running water; each player drops a stick on the upstream side of a bridge and the one whose stick first appears on the downstream side is the winner. - Good analogy Rocket.

Agreed, funnily enough I remember playing pooh sticks as a kid. Most people who already know what pooh sticks are, will likely be baby boomers or older! Great game and the difference between this race and pooh sticks is that all the pooh sticks finished.

That could only have been said by a slow boat sailor!

Although I do agree with your comment about it being done defiantly.

Calm down you blokes.

The world is in a bit of a difficult state a the moment.

It's pretty much a miracle that there are 6 entries.

Imagine how many more there might be if the world was a "happy place"

I'm happy with the format becuase:

1. It's coming to Auckland.

2. There's an inshore race not just inbound arrivals and a single outbound start.

Could be a shedload worse!

• [/url]
Calm down you blokes.

2. There's an inshore race not just inbound arrivals and a single outbound start.

Good-on-yer. 'Wineglass' Lighten up you's guys. Don't like it - simple - don't watch it, don't read it. don't pay any attention to it BUT for Gawds sake STOP knocking it. Many others in here; like it, enjoy the sport of sailing, see what they have gone through to get there & will learn from their experiences. For pitty sake - don't go & see them arrive - race close to shore or watch them leave. That would only be good for NZ sailing, NZ income & NZ cruising & you wouldn't want to do that - now would you. Bloody sure I wish I could get over there & see them race. Enjoy your sailing & stop knocking them AA - just have a Mt. Gay & smile - you'll live longer & so will we. Ciao, james

'Squidley' I don't agree with your call - not at all. jj aka s-r What's wrong is it not a proa? It could be much worse - they could be motorboats or subs or something worse - battleships, eh?

Ha, fancy that. I've watched the AC45's but until I read this thread I didn't realise they were supposed to be match racing. I thought it was some time trial like format thing they were doing. Mind you the P fuelled video editor sure doesn't help, my eyes can't cope with the screen changing every 3 seconds.

Sure as shite, it's knot as exciting as watching Brad peeking under headsails waiting for the second the other skipper looks away and calls a quick tack.

Agree re the Volvo. Keeping a passing interest in it but that's about it. Bit of a case of nothing to see here, move along please. At the end of the day about the only difference between them is who breaks 1st.

Calm down you blokes.

If you think that is excited Wineglass you need to get out more :)

6 entries is fine, more would be much better. I think we are just pointing out that its been diluted a bit in terms of the challenge (or perceived challenge) to satisfy sponsor the where in fact with the communication available getting media off the boats anywhere in the world is not a problem so perhaps there's less need to visit ports to do the roadshow.

Its more about where the sponsor wants to be positioned - Volvo is a bit softcore (BTW I drive a 300hp R version so I'm not biased) in its positioning so it suits them, someone like Breitling (watches) for example position themselves as fashionable but adventurous. Volvo is now Chinese owned so there's another reason to visit there.

Sorry but its like breaking Le Mans 24hrs into 3 x 8 hour races with meet the driver breaks - wheres the hardcore nuts and wheres the tradition.

I'm also happy they are coming to AKL.

Well to be fair after the 3rd breakage I kinda tuned out. Once a day I'd pop in here to see what Stephen c had put up - he has done such a great job I didn't need to go anywhere else. I think Squid should double his salary to 2 bottles of rum!

Once upon a time to finish this race, you actually had to finish. Times have changed, the yachts are faster, more exciting to watch, and much closer so in that respect it may be better visually. I dunno, it's a fair comment that in these tough financial times it remarkable that there is a race, and yes I'm glad they're coming to NZ. I'm planning on a few days off to watch them arrive and sail and race here in Auckland.

But it just doesn't seem as exciting as the Steinlager/F & P days. Maybe it's because I'm older...

Archived