What is this stuff?

smithy09

OK, I'm pretty under-educated when it comes to boatbuilding stuff. I don't know my E-glass from my woven rovings....

The Marshall is built with a cedar core and kevlar over the top of that.. I understand that, but the deck and cockpit is meant to be built from Plywood and sheathed, only it isn't built from normal ply. It's built from this lightweight stuff, which has a balsa like core and thin veneers on the outside, then glassed over. It's pretty cool stuff, not quite up there with Nomex, but still pretty light.

What's it called, and where do I get sheets of it? Anyone know? Thanks all..

IMG_1230.JPG

Thanks KM. It's pretty cool for ply... 80s technology. Excellent.

80's is probably right. I used it to build 2 boats with and after having done a couple previously using cedar I decided cedar is total sh*t and only for losers, same applies to it's use on houses.

In that Mini I had my Duracore made in Aussie as they made it lighter than the US made stuff. A panel of '12mm', being 10mm end grain balsa between 1mm skins of white pine, 2400 x 400mm weighed nothing and they blew around the shed if I left the door open. As a interesting FYI the 'shed' is actually the space under Fleet St Panel beaters in Devo where a dude called Bruce Farr built the 1st ever 727.

On that Mini it spend a lot of time getting the frames spot on and come fairing time I mixed one of those 2lt ice cream containers of bog and then sanded most of it off again, it was about 2 sq ft from being able to go with a clear finish. That Duracore stuff is magnificent to work with, far far superior to cedar in every regard.

Thanks KM. It's pretty cool for ply... 80s technology. Excellent.

80's is probably right. I used it to build 2 boats with and after having done a couple previously using cedar I decided cedar is total sh*t and only for losers, same applies to it's use on houses.

In that Mini I had my Duracore made in Aussie as they made it lighter than the US made stuff. A panel of '12mm', being 10mm end grain balsa between 1mm skins of white pine, 2400 x 400mm weighed nothing and they blew around the shed if I left the door open. As a interesting FYI the 'shed' is actually the space under Fleet St Panel beaters in Devo where a dude called Bruce Farr built the 1st ever 727.

On that Mini it spend a lot of time getting the frames spot on and come fairing time I mixed one of those 2lt ice cream containers of bog and then sanded most of it off again, it was about 2 sq ft from being able to go with a clear finish. That Duracore stuff is magnificent to work with, far far superior to cedar in every regard.

Thanks for the info KM. I'd just like to sort out some of the lockers space in the marshall, and that would be the stuff to use. Don't want it getting heavy!!!

Give Sean Jefferies a call out a SP Gurit and see what they have in the seconds / obsolete stock bin. Failing that ring Adhesive Technologies as they are the NZ agents. Or if you are in town next week go the the Vudrey Miller liquidation auction and see what they have.....

Give Sean Jefferies a call out a SP Gurit and see what they have in the seconds / obsolete stock bin. Failing that ring Adhesive Technologies as they are the NZ agents. Or if you are in town next week go the the Vudrey Miller liquidation auction and see what they have.....

Bugger. I will still be in Singapore.. Changed: http://www.fitzgeralds.co.nz/computer/index.jsp;jsessionid=24B1FBC650A61168B746F2C1CDF8480D?area=home

Archived