Simpson Lawrence Windlass spares

smithy09

Anyone know where I can get bits off the shelf for a Simpson Lawrence C1250 capstan? (Halyard winch on Marshall Law). It looks like James Nilson are shut over Christmas.. Anyone else carry spares? The main bit I need is the pinion on the last epicyclic gearbox stage which has no more teeth.... All assistance appreciated! Cheers, Smithy.

Looks like you're best off buying a packet of Weet-bix and just hardening the F up :wink:

It's very unlikely you'll find anything off the shelf.

They were only branded S/L, JN made them like they did many S/L winches.

Sounds like he had too many weetbix if all the teeth are missing from the gear.

AC, look away now....

So what about claiming insurance on the winch along with the mast. I am sure the mast buckling must have put excessive strain on the Halyard and overloaded the winch stripping the gears.

Sounds like he had too many weetbix if all the teeth are missing from the gear.

AC, look away now....

So what about claiming insurance on the winch along with the mast. I am sure the mast buckling must have put excessive strain on the Halyard and overloaded the winch stripping the gears.

Hahaha. Nice try Wheels. It's actually only one small part and I'm sure JN will have it, just dunno when they're open. No message on the phone. no nothing....

Yeah KM, when it sh*t itself we hand winched the main the final third. Took forever! You don't know what you've got till it's gone!!

Believe it or not, I got a reply from my email to James Nilsson within an hour. They are closed for Christmas but Grant Nilsson will open for me tommorrow and are pretty sure they have the parts on the shelf!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You just have gotta love that kind of service from a local company.. Brilliant.

I'll report back on results! I'm well impressed!

Just been into the factory, just up the road from Cooksons. Grant Nilsson didn't have the gear train that was stuffed so he made one up for me! Ditto the shim bearing for the main drum. All other parts ex stock. What an outfit! As soon as the Lwmar anchor winch craps out it's getting a Nilsson. No question. Fantastic service!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good to hear some suppliers still give a stuff at this time of year, I managed to secure mild steel 300x90 channel yesterday from Vulcan Steel - they were the only ones open and the only ones to make any money yesterday. The rest will be whinging about how tough it is when they get back from hols.

EE

Anyone know where I can get bits off the shelf for a Simpson Lawrence C1250 capstan? (Halyard winch on Marshall Law). It looks like James Nilson are shut over Christmas.. Anyone else carry spares? The main bit I need is the pinion on the last epicyclic gearbox stage which has no more teeth.... All assistance appreciated! Cheers, Smithy.

Thats probably from all the years hauling my fat ass up the mast! :-P

Thats probably from all the years hauling my fat ass up the mast! :-P

Yeah he did say is was only rated to 120kg.. :D :D

Archived