Repairing Aluminium Fuel Tanks

shanson

Hello All

So with some trepidation I removed one of the fuel tanks of my 40+ year old yacht.

Actually it was not too bad, however It does have a number of small pits where it has oxidized but not all the way through.

1) Whats the best way to repair these? I have a mate who welds Aluminium so should I get them filled?

I'm thinking about making two access hatches around 200mm diameter, this will take most of the space of the top of the tanks, however I should be able to reach most of the inside for cleaning.

2) Are the hatches too big?

Cheers

SHANE

How many holes Shane? You can get a two component liquid for fuel that you pour in and coat around the tank that will seal it up. Welding may not be quite so easy depending in how badly pitted.

Could be worth welding then. But it is possible the top may have to be cut right off to allow decent access to weld it. You have to get a Tig torch, Rod and both arms in and still be able to see what you are doing.

Could be worth welding then. But it is possible the top may have to be cut right off to allow decent access to weld it. You have to get a Tig torch, Rod and both arms in and still be able to see what you are doing.

Why??

Any pitting I can see is on the outside, the tanks thenselves are in an aft cabin so are well ventolated with no foam or anything link that.

At this stage I may we''l just spot treat the areas and fill with something like JB Weld.

SHANE

Archived