Boat speeds

What do you think of the boat speeds so far in this Volvo? Who do you think has an advantage on certain angles, wind speeds and who has been the biggest disappointment so far?

I reckon the container ship had a pretty good turn of speed. Perhaps not blitzing the fleet on a reach, but upwind the container ship is clearly the fastest.

I reckon the container ship had a pretty good turn of speed. Perhaps not blitzing the fleet on a reach, but upwind the container ship is clearly the fastest.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heres my semi uneducated views :sailor: :sailor:

I would say that Camper is the best balanced boat in all weather conditions, but not all angles. Their reaching ability is slow and everyone knows it so hopefully they have some more beating conditions with a nice 3m swell.

Telefonica are great in anything over 15 knots and seem to be well balanced at all wind angles when its blowing. If the wind was to die close to china it could make this leg a painful one for them. Its a brave risk that they have taken, but its worked for them so far in leg 1 and two as the windless spots havnt been near the finish line.

Puma are a bit of a dark horse for me as I havnt paid enough attention to how they have been going. They burned Camper on the reach to and from the doldrums in leg one but could repeat it in leg two with their new rig. If they can get the reaches pace back then they could start to really put some pressure back on the top three.

Abu Dhabi havnt shown much pace in any of the races yet except for the last two. They were dead last into Abu Dhabi but have somehow discovered some more speed somewhere. They need to find more pace and regularly if they dont want to be battling for fourth and fifth.

Groupama are one team that you dont have to worry about boat speed with as that will be irrelevant to were they finish in the leg. Their tactics are very interesting and its great to see that a team is going to stick it to the rest of the fleet and try something a bit more riskier to try and win a leg. Other wise their boat looks pretty well balanced in the light or puffy stuff as well as most wind angles. Theres still plenty of time for these guys to challenge Telefonica for the lead.

If Sanya finishes a leg they had better of done it by going an oppersite way to other teams. They have the oldest and slowest boat in the fleet and the only way they can throw the cat amongst the pigeons is to run a riskier option and hope it pays of in the long run. Expect Sanya to be slower than expected in this leg as they have not been able to tune the rig as well as what they have wanted to.

I really do hope I eat my words here and would do it happily but, Is it to early to suggest that they sink Camper while its safely in second place on points. Now over 100 nm behind on a leg that they expected to excell on, she really is a donkey.

Guest Crafty 1

Is camper a dog or sailed poorly tactically. They seem way of the pace, but they may have to take flyers to offset the dog this boat may be.

Camper are slow, but I still reckon there up there with Puma and groupama for speed except for when their reaching. Tactics have cost them this big time. They went into shore by KL in hope to gain and lost. They have not recovered from it since and are going to need some boats to break at this rate. I have also found that the tracker is biased to the boats that are further north at the moment as they are closer to sanya despite having to travel east. I have the lead at 60nm, what do you guys think?

post-10945-141887195137.jpg

Something is definitely wrong with the distance that Camper are trailing other boats as its gotten worse with the last update. There is no way that they are 20nm behind Abu dhabi, 110nm behind Puma and 140nm behind Telefonica. I have them trailing telefonica by 70nm, Puma 39nm and camper leading Abu Dhabi by 20nm.

I think Telefonica is fastest. They have managed to overtake and then sail away from Groupama (what happened in leg 3?!) and Camper when being really close (so no tactical mistakes there). So far she's the only boat that has been able to reel in others and pass them. The in-port racing shows little in this regard; consistently being faster over long distances is what shows real boat speed.

Camper is slow, which is too bad because I think they are among the strongest crews. Still a long way to go but I hope someone is able to take the fight to Telefonica. If not this will become uninteresting soon.

I think Telefonica is fastest. They have managed to overtake and then sail away from Groupama (what happened in leg 3?!) and Camper when being really close (so no tactical mistakes there). So far she's the only boat that has been able to reel in others and pass them. The in-port racing shows little in this regard; consistently being faster over long distances is what shows real boat speed.

Camper is slow, which is too bad because I think they are among the strongest crews. Still a long way to go but I hope someone is able to take the fight to Telefonica. If not this will become uninteresting soon.

Great first post there dlangpap :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have they had any serious hard running in Southern Ocean type conditons yet? What I'm getting at is the relative speeds may be completely different once they leave NZ.

I believe they have in parts of leg 1 and 2. I am still amazed at how they have escaped from Groupama lately. I mean, these are boats from the same designer! Either Groupama asked the designer for a completely different boat or the builder of Telefonica did a much better job. Still, let's hope the rest of the boats are at least superior in heavy wind reaching because otherwise this will be a blowout...

Umm

there are a thing called crew - they can make a difference...

No crew has been able to stop them in a volvo ocean race yet despite camper being close last time and heres hoping one or several can.

Sure a crew can make a difference. However, i would imagine at this level, when two boats are 0.1 nm away at some point and one starts pulling away, not by 1 or 10 nm but by 20 or more, then boat speed must have a lot to do with it.

Archived