Repairing MAC plastic boats

I have just bought an old plastic Mac boat. It has had some repairs done on the keel area in the past but they leak. Someone has used the wrong type of plastic and the repairs have not bonded.

I rang the guys who make Mac boats today to see if I can buy some of the Polyethylene plastic to make a repair. They only sell 3mm dia rods.

The holes need something a bit bigger than that.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get some flat plastic that will bind with the mac plastic? I have tried all sorts of plastic with number 2 stamped on it without much success. Tempted to cut a bit off my wheeli bin. It looks similar.

Apart from colour, the wheelie bin should be the same stuff. The idea of the 3mm Rods is that you use them kind of like a welding rod. A rod and a decent size Soldering iron and you would be able to repair a sizable hole.

But Pop into Rotomould Plastics in Glenfield and grab some scrap pieces from them.

try either plastic construction, or if they're out acing cars, try solo plastics, both in avondale. They are pro's at extrusion welding both pe and pp, the mac boat could be either. The 3mm rods go in a wee machine a bit like a mig welder, feeds out the rod at the same time as melting the surrounds, had a crack at it myself once, and harder than it sounds to get a strong weld. those guys will see you right.

Archived