Rod Davis looks back at the Americas cup

Coach Rod Davis muses on the times we live in …..

It has been a bizarre time for the America’s Cup; the war of words and press releases has been nonstop for five years when Oracle questioned Alinghi’s Challenger of Record. Since then we have been fed a fatty diet of spin doctoring.

Some would say “situation normal for the America’s Cup”. Not in my experience and I have been in the game a long time. Take the headline “Ainsle launches America’s Cup campaign”. What?

Uncle Larry is underwriting Ben’s AC45 sailing and then he joins Oracle in the defence for the USA. Where is the Ben Ansile America’s Cup campaign in that? Or the nine challengers listed in the America’s Cup web site, when, in reality only three have paid the money. The trick is to not allow the spin doctors to distract you from the real game.

When you blow away the smoke and see through the mirrors you find the America’s Cup as it is:

Here’s what you need to know:

1) The America’s Cup will be sailed in San Francisco in 2013 in 72ft winged cats.

2) Each team will have the most advanced and competitive boat that it can produce and then sail it the very best it can.

3) The challengers (Artemis, Luna Rosa, and Emirates Team New Zealand) will compete in a Louis Vuitton Cup challenger series to decide who goes to the America’s Cup.

4) Oracle goes directly to the finals (the America’s Cup match).

5) Each team is allowed to build two AC72 boats; the first cannot be launched before July this year.

Point No 2 is the most important and the one must be done better than all the competition. Everything else is detail.

Keep your eye on the ball.

COACH

Guest Crafty 1

and.... while watching these big multi's will be the highlight for me and many othere, the costs have (in a world wide recession) taken the event backwards in terms or numbers participating.

Quality not quantity.

As for RD, well he's been involved with Tean NZ for a while now (since we lost it to the Swiss), taken a lot of dosh, and have we won and will we win???

Its not Rods fault that EMTNZ havnt won anything as the swiss built a better boat that a little bit quicker and then Oracle got into their fight which meant there was no race for more than 5 years. While that was happening EMTNZ were doing a great job of winning events and people were proving why they get paid the amount that they do.

Time is ticking for the Americas cup and Artimas is going to be a tough match for EMTNZ as they are pouring far to much money into their design and team resources. Rods spot on though about the lack of teams who have paid, and I know that there is at least one team whos chance of competing is more of a hope and dream than a reality.

Archived