Depth Sounder?

I'm currently kitting out my Variant to meet category 4 & 5 racing requirements as stated by YNZ. However it doesn't have a depth sounder and it states in the regulations that I need one.

Surely the classic yachts that race don't all have depth sounders do they? Would a weight on a piece of string meet requirements? Does anybody actually check that a boat meets requirements?

Does anybody actually check that a boat meets requirements?

When entering a category 4 or 5 race, the Notice of Race will have specify which YNZ safety regulations apply. Typically it is in the form of a self declaration that you meet the relevant safety standards specified in the NOR. Your signature on the entry form in in effect the self declaration. The organising body may specify additional safety criterion.

The Simrads for example allow for (and do) random safety spot checks before and after the race.

They do check from time to time. We got checked after a wed night race and the owner had unwittingly taken of the danbouy light when he was cleaning the boat after a coastal. We withdrew from the race before the committee protested.

Archived