Galloping Ghosts - Australasian 18-footers 1890-1965

Hitting all good Marine Book Shops (you know who they are) about now is "Galloping Ghosts - Australasian 18-footers 1890-1965" which I hope will interest all those who have been involved in these fantastic boats down the years.

It was written largely in an attempt to educate the Australians ( :shock: ), hence the strong NSW and Queensland slant, but New Zealand does feature heavily in it from 1938 onwards, and into the 1950's when our design and construction techniques were far in advance of theirs. The club politics that, to use a Rugby League cliche, set "mate against mate, state against state" are dissected as rival 18-footer clubs sought to ensure their survival by standing with, or against new design developments such as Aberdare, Intrigue, and later the three hander Taipan, that many saw as a threat to the survival of the 18-footer.

It also sets out the background that led to the formation of the Auckland 18-Footer Flying Squadron (now known as the Auckland Sailing Club). There are also loads of great photos.

On another note. I apologise for posting this here. I personally dislike overt publicity on forums, but past experience has shown that the major book chains are quite disinterested in these sort of books (unless they show pictures of TNZ and the America's Cup :crazy: ) and getting them into the hands of those interested is not easy. Hence the plug here.

http://classicyacht.org.nz/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=1596

post-1650-141887197473.jpg

Well done Deacon Blues (Robin Elliott). Look forward to reading it. Mind you the Waikanae Library takes about 25 years to pick up on this sort of book.

Only joking.

DL.

As a token aussie of sydney have a look on youtube at 18 foot skiff sailing 1960 on gary linacre is presidento cyca and the 18 fts there is plenty of books and information to be obtained you will have agood laugh at the clips there like our old tooheys adds about sailing

As I am from the other side of the ditch, I have vague memories of the Tooheys ads of that vintage.

There were a series of ads involving other sports although I don't remember this sailing one.

Archived