Lubricants...

banaari

Not what you're thinking :)

Apart from the weather bomb something which caused grief last weekend was a jammed mainsail. Just could not get the thing up the last foot. Assumed that a thoroughly unclean or even warped track was just another of the many sins left to me by the previous owners.

This evening, without much hope, I applied a liberal dose of McLube SailKote to the slugs (if that's what you call them) and as far up the track as I could reach.

The difference is startling - even stuck in berth with the wind across the boat... sail still goes up and down like a honeymoon duvet.

Should I be surprised that lubrication makes that much difference?

Ask your

No I'll start again. You'll probably find it was utterly filthy and that's why the big difference. The problem now is that if it was that bad ,a quick squirt will probably bung up again too soon. Methinks a serious good scrub/wipe down or something (there'll be an expert along soon to say what), then another squirt.

ok I'll assume you have 1/2" slugs for a main track, get a short length of 3/8"dowel about 2>3"long and glue a bit of"1/4"ply along the length of it as a handle then wrap a rag round it and from the bosuns chair go to the top of the rig and insert into sail track, squirt jiff (f**king magic stuff) into the track above this "slider"and rub rub all the way down, a squirty bottle of water to wet things up helps , for heavier buildup/corrosion substitute a lump of scotchbrite for the rag, hose it out after you're done, dry it and then spray silicone, headfoil tracks can be done similarly but you'll need to see your friendly sailmaker for a smallish chunk of boltrope with a cloth handle and use the jiff directly onto it, the end hosing out of jiff and crap is pretty important bit it works and have done it dozens of times

L4 advice works, especially the scotchpad.

Tip:

1). Hoisting a lighter person up the mast is easiest.

2). Have a off/on valve in the hose at the base of the mast. I use one of those "Y" with 2 valves.

3). Wash the rest of the mast & spreaders whilst you have everything organised. Often the sheeves have a lot of salt buildup as well.

4). It's nicer on warm days.

Don't forget to take photos for us to laugh at :lol:

I should have got the email address of the Japanese tourists watching and no doubt recording our berthing manoeuvres last weekend...

Archived