And they're off

Fogg

Whatever they were doing (looked like one lap of the harbour) they've just crossed the line. Camper finished 4th of 4. :?

I really feel for those guys. Obviously they must love sailing but being back on the boat after only 3 days rest must be tough.

I've done that before ie bet against my own team. It's kind of a win-win cos if your team do win you're obviously chuffed but if they lose you're a bit richer.

Some pics from today, before the first practice start. Seemed to find Groupama in the frame more than the others. It was interesting to see the mast rake they are set up with for the Southern Ocean (although I don't really have a reference for what rakes they were carrying before).

Groupama mast rake.jpg

Groupama ST.jpg

Groupama Code 0.jpg

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if the next leg is predominantly downwind, wouldn't they want to kick the top of the mast forward?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if the next leg is predominantly downwind, wouldn't they want to kick the top of the mast forward?

I know that with us and the A classes the rigs get raked a little bit more back if it is going to be wavy, Or choppy, But I don't think that you would do it on a open 70?

The rigs get raked forward when in flat water for us, Same with most multi's, Now I know where on a way smaller scale, But do the same principals not apply?

They have to get the crap kicked out of them first as they could be beating into 50 knots.

That was something that came up at the Volvo design symposium on Monday night (but I forgot to mention in my summary) - talk of designing the downwind sails for maximum lift to try and keep the bows up as much as possible, and I think mast rake would be part of that, especially if they're aiming to sail downwind in 30+ knots most of the way.

wouldn't it relate to where the CE was relative the centre of mass and buoyancy. The rigs are all quite far back in the boats with big fore triangles so maybe they add some rake to get the right balance.

I note that the keel is in front of the mast in Campers case.

Archived