hakes marine

Of course it's easier said than done, but I think there are a few things that a 'custom' manufacturer needs to know to keep the doors open:

How much their product really costs.

How many hours the job really takes.

How to define and enforce a standard process.

How to quantify and charge for variation orders.

If you know all those things then you can set about making improvements to the processes to reduce the costs and add calculated value to the product. No client wants to sign off on a 'charge up' project. I think in the past a lot of NZ builders rely on their product being perceived as superior and being able to charge a premium. But when they get into a bidding war with an overseas yard, they are hung out to dry and build boats for cost without knowing it before the pen hits the paper.

The other annoying problem is that often the client is a better business person than the boat builder. That's why they can afford to buy the boat in the first place!

I don't know anything about his particular business skills, although he does seem to be a very talented boat builder and has done some very nice work. Maybe in china there is a businessman looking after the accounts and strategy, so he can just concentrate on what he's good at. I really hope he does well this time around. Ultimately things will run their course and the money will come back to NZ.

Archived