Sailing gps

Oh good golly. More toys for the flesh and bones autopilots that are becoming more common on our waters.

It appears the days you control your boat are fading away. Another year or 2 and it'll be the boat controlling you.

Your iPhone (no Android app out yet) goes Bing Bong then pronounces - "This is your boat calling - I vant to goes somevhere. Cum to boat now and turn on my systems then I vill tells you where I want to go, vhen and how. You have 10min to get here or I vill turn into a Viviera. So pull zee finger out bitch!!!"

You have to be very carefull in crossing google earth lons and lats with lon and lats on nautical charts...it dosnt run wgs84 and is often way (rock crunchingly) differant......................

Good point, wasn't aware of myself. I'm more interested in the wind vane with a selection of receivers that can either send in bluetooth or wifi. Need to find out if this will work on a pc. Solar powered and no cables required sounds good to me.

I read the manual for this device and its designed to work with google earth so should not be a problem and besides the wary mariner would always use more means to find a location than one. I would use the laptop and the handheld garmin plus dead reckoning and a good guess. This is a really useful device.

Archived