Kawahai limit?

Fogg

Hmm, a little late to reply now, but I like my Kawahai baked.

Macerate some herbs in a motar and pestle and bland with warm softened butter to make a paste. Tansy, a pinch of dill, some sprigs of yarrow and rosemary.

Clean the fish as usual leaving the head on, paint with the butter mix and wrap well in tinfoil and place in a baking pan in a hot oven at 160 deg C until you can't resist the smell drifting out the vent of the oven :P

dont forget a dusting of cayenne, back in the 80's was involved with building a topsail schooner at mangawhai heads and with quite a workforce to be fed full use was made of kawhai ( big ocean run ones), no quota then and every fish caught was eaten and would say with the multinational workforce that was constantly changing on the job, hitchhikers would stop off for a day and windup still there a month later, that I've probably had more variety of Kahawai preparations than most.

Wasn't long after this that some prick with a purse seiner hammered the area and passed it on as petfood totally killed the fishery. Loved the days of flat calm coming round rodney and heading for Te arai getting as close in as you dared with a few lures out knowing that fish for Dins was a certainty, wonder if it's recovered in any form ?

Archived