Kawahai limit?

Fogg

Can someone please tell me the day limit on Kawahai? We're reeling them in and want to know when to stop. Plan to give away several to friends and family.

Cheers

If that's all you're catching you can take 20, no size limit. That's because the total daily finfish limit is 20 of 20 different varieties in addition to which you can take 6 eels, 30 grey mullet, 9 snapper plus a total of 5 kingfish/hapuku.

In other words AC fill your boots.

Kahawai is also nice baked in milk with cheese on top. I reckon coconut milk may be nicer, I can just taste a thai green curry. Enjoy.

Thanks guys. I agree with stopping at what we can use. 3 over this weekend for dinner and lunch and a few to friends and family on the way home 2moro. So we're stopping here at about 8.

Oh send yes lunch will be panfried, dinner curried in coconut milk.

Ogre - will drop one in for you on the way home from my parents 2moro eve.

We're just approaching Gannet rock after a delightful sail from GH but hardly had time to enjoy the sail, too busy hauling fish. Tired and aching, enjoying the rest over a beer.

Oops winds just died and went East, engine on for final rin around to Chamberlains I think.

Cheers

They make good bait for snapper!

That's the spirit, use a really good fish to catch a really average fish :wink:

I watched Bill Hohepa cut a really big Kawai into three pieces and then say, "there ya go, your three baits to catch the snapper with. Big Bait big Fish". I was thinking of what a waste of a perfectly great Kawai.

Don't forget that if you are near Great Barrier, the smoke house at Smoke house bay are excellent for smoking any excess Kahawai. The birds were working almost every day in Fitzroy over the first 3 weeks of March, we could have a fresh Kahawai every day.

Most people still steak smaller Kingfish but remember it is 75cm for a legal one

Kahawai are everywhere at present, we threw plenty back yesterday.

They are so easy to catch make sure you don't waste them

The smaller kahawai make great sashimi, the big ones a little too grainy for that.

Fish cakes, curries or smoked for the bigger ones

Trevally are the best sashimi if you are asking, better than Tuna IMHO.

Te Tahi, do you come up the river past Hobsonville? I have a misty memory I have seen you boat in the odd occasion going past mine in the mooring when I am out there.

Te Tahi, do you come up the river past Hobsonville? I have a misty memory I have seen you boat in the odd occasion going past mine in the mooring when I am out there.

No on the piles at West Haven since 03 but do spend a bit of time exploring up that way with the kids.

After a weekend of fish we couldn't stomach sashimi tonight so after doing a delivery run of Kawahai fillets to family & friends (inc Ogre) we settled for a couple of fresh Kingfish steaks (cooked liked tuna ) and a couple of smoked Kawahai fillets. Fantastic.

I reckon I've got enough Omega 3 fish oil in my system to fill a bottle of vitamin supplements.

Hmm, a little late to reply now, but I like my Kawahai baked.

Macerate some herbs in a motar and pestle and bland with warm softened butter to make a paste. Tansy, a pinch of dill, some sprigs of yarrow and rosemary.

Clean the fish as usual leaving the head on, paint with the butter mix and wrap well in tinfoil and place in a baking pan in a hot oven at 160 deg C until you can't resist the smell drifting out the vent of the oven :P

Archived