Interior varnish

I need to tidy up some interior varnish work this winter (have been putting it off for awhile). Have not done interior work before and would like to get a decent finish. Presumaby preparation is key but any advice on varnish type, application etc would be appreciated.

used a single pot moisture cure polyurethane inside the wheelhouse of a tug I worked on, easy to apply and very hard wearing, sorry cannot remember brand

I am no expert but the one advice I got was that the first layer is 50/50 varnish and solvent. Then each layer reduce the amount of solvent and the last layers are just varnish. And apply at least 6 layers and light fine sanding between layers. I found out that the new foam type brushes actually are quite easy to use and leave a nice finnish. If you are doing the job in winter you might want to put a heater inside, I think the hotter it is inside the easier it becomes to get a nice finnish.

I have given up on traditional varnish !

It just takes to much time and is too hard to fix up knocks and scrapes later.

I now use water based gloss floor coat. Not as glossy as varnish but still looks great. Two coats and its done. It dries quickly so you can get the job done in a day. Low pong and water clean up.

My original blackwood doors took three weeks to get done with varnish....Pity now I have to sand them back to bare timber to coat them with a water based coat.

I'm a Uroxys fan now - easy to use one pot NZ product. One coat primer then 2 topcoat inside and great finish in satin or gloss. I used to use Goldspar which is single pot and easy to use too but for me uroxys has a better, longer lasting finish.

The uroxys gloss is very glossy so looks great on trims against the satin on panels. Happy varnishing.

Archived