Another yacht is lost in Victorian waters

idlerboat

Police rescued a couple in their 70s from their catamaran in waters off Victoria's south-east last night.

The husband and wife, both aged 75, had almost completed their sailing trip from Hobart to Eden when their 30-metre yacht ran aground in rough seas at Wingan Inlet, 60 kilometres west of Gabo Island, yesterday afternoon.

The couple managed to send a message to a friend who alerted police about 4pm. A police officer drove from Mallacoota then found the stricken boat after trekking the final hour of remote coastline on foot.

This is yet another boat that has come to grief this season. My heart goes out to the couple, but glad they are safe.

I did a weather check and the wind was gusting too 45 knots plus at Gabo at the time. The distance from Hobat to Eden is aprox 360 nm. Given there ultimate foundering time and going back 36 plus hours to an aprox departure time, they would have left Hobart in medium strength NW winds..with a strong SW front coming from the west...

The area near Gabo is a junction of two current flows and gets lumpy at the best of times..

Aparently they lost thier rudders ?

I have seen the pics and there is nothing but wreckage left..a bit of hull and half the bridge deck.

...and...I do wish that the media would understand that boats length are often given in FEET !

This Cat was NOT 90 feet long (30 metres) !!

It would be unfair and unreasonable for me to speculate about thier exact circumstance, but it is a salient reminder for people rushing to go north for the winter cruising to be careful.

Archived