Swimming and alchohol

Rodney King drowned recently (tonights news) apparently after drinking all day and going for a swim. Seems to me that if you can't walk properly then you won't be able to swim.

I vaguely remember being 17, pissed enought to sing on the bus on the way home from work at xmas eve. Mate and i went for a swim at the beach , less than 1 foot of swell, found a rip and came so close to drowning it was not funny.

If you can't walk you can't swim! RIP Rodney King.

There has been more than a few instances of pissed yachties coming home from the pub and falling off the pasarelle whilst boarding their boats in the med, sadly some of them don't surface. :thumbdown:

I have always made sure after hearing bout that to always have a way of getting back on the boat, usually a boarding ladder deployed or a tender tied off alongside just in case before I go out. Never needed it myself but on one occasion my next door neighbour in the marina did and he was most thankful the next morning :thumbup:

I have had to help fish two dock neighbours out of the water after they drowned (one was a few weeks in the water before we found him - nasty), both after drinking heavily.

Horrendous Ogre. Yes I think swimming is a very much highly synchronised effort that is badly effected by booze. Used to practise full contact Karate and if I'd had one beer I was useless. I wonder if any studies have been taken in regards to swimming and booze.

I have had to help fish two dock neighbours

Now ya see, there is a subtle difference between the Sober and the Drunk. The Drunk would are more "I have had to help fish" and the sentence pretty much ends there.

Had a quick google about this morning and it seems booze is involved in 30% of drownings in NSW and more than 50% in Canada. It would be interesting, fun and of great use to run a study on a group of peoples swimming ability after set numbers of drinks. Would make entertaining tv too.

This is something I always think about when climbing onto boats at the marina when we have been out in town enjoying ourselves ( we live quite a long way from the nearest town, so if we go out drinking we often stay on either our or a friends boat if there is one near where we intend drinking )

It would not be hard to end up in the water between the boat and finger, and if your properly drunk, there is no telling what you might consider to be a good plan for getting back out of the water.

Archived