RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Coastal

Scotty3934

Hi All

Have just been presented with an oppotunity to be a skipper in a fleat of 49-56 ft yachts with a charter company in the Med for next season. After 2 weeks cruzing out of Split I've more than made up my mind its the life for me.

Only problem is I need to gain at least the above RYA qualification. Getting boatmasters and VHF licence as pre rec's should'nt be an issue but I have not ever logged my hours at sea. Need 200hrs proven sea time as the 3rd pre rec.

I know I have at least 3 or 4 owners who would be more than happy to sign off I have done the above but have no idea if this will be sufficient. (I know I should have kept a log from a long time ago, young and dumb and all that).

Has anyone had any experience with any of this or have any advise. I will only have 6-7 months to sort everything out once I get back to NZ in sept if I want to make the start of next season. (Will also need to work my ass off during that time to save to get back over here).

Anu help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Scotty

You need to check that an NZ RYA qualification will be acceptable (if you intend doing your ticket there) I have heard that a lot of places do not accept NZ RYA tickets. This is due to NZ having a really anal history of not recognising RYA quals for commercial use. It is a convoluted story but definitely worth researching.

A statutory declaration with supporting evidence of experience will most often do under NZ law but whether or not this will be acceptable for your ARO I'm not sure.

How is Split now? Last time I had any involvement it was still a virtual war zone.

Right slight amendment to the above. Within 2 min of posting my original post I recieved an email as they had made a mistake with what they wanted me to compleate. They want me to compleat at least the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence.

So with that in mind the Boatmasters is not required just a Marine Radio Operators Qualification and current First Aid Certificate.

Still the issue with the hours logged, the requirement is "Experience equivalent to 30 days sea time (800 miles) including 12 night hours", which I have more than done unlogged. Bugger.

Anyone with any tips to help me sort all this out will be appreciated

Cheers

Split is amazing, only really spent time in the downtown area fairly close to the marina but did see a bit more of town on the bus down to dubrovnik once off the yacht. If I'd had more time I would have loved to bare boat charter from Split to Dubrovnik over mabe a 6-8 week period but unfortunatly with the Olympics coming up work said no chance. The outer Islands are great from the full blowen party islands such as Havar to the quieter more relaxed and less populated such as Scedro and Stari Grad.

You should check out the RYA website. The UK based one. AFAIK the RYA Coastal yachtmaster requires that you have an ICC (international certificate of competence), purely because you need that seatime before you can sit the test.

Their Ocean master test is also a practical exam covering a number of hours where you take the examiner sailing etc.

So you have to do a few things in order. The NZ coastguard administered RYA Coastal ticket doesn't include a practical component. But you can organize to hire (borrow) a boat in the UK and sit the ICC test there then coupled with your NZ boat masters then Coastal ticket you should be good to go.

Still not sure how to handle the hours thing. You can also get the NZ coastguard to help you with an ICC test. It'd be far easier to do in NZ if you know the waters and can borrow a boat.

Give the RYA a call in the UK. They are most helpful.

Most examiners are not pedantic about your 'previous experience' hours, but make sure you have some current stuff too. It'll be clear by your boat handling whether you lied about the miles or not :wink:

quote]

Also as an instructor, I cannot stress highly enough the boathandling aspect. Clocking up the miles sitting on the rail during racing won't hack it. The exam concentrates on how you handle the boat in close quarters as well as proving you have the confidence to look after and lead the crew. Best advice would be to borrow a boat and a couple of people and spend a week pontoon bashing during the day and navigation at night. (You will also need to demonstrate that you can go from A-B without GPS)!

And a word from the wise....Just remember that once there try to stay away from Clients daughters!!!

Archived