Genverter

Andrey

Efficient and Quiet Hybrid Generation

The Genverter is an efficient method to supply both the (house or hotel) load and an electric propulsion system. This system matches the generation to the load in the most effiecient way, if the Lithium storage can't cope or is low, the Genverter comes online, the variable speed is set by the load requirment. Hi volume DC charging while lstill supplying thw house load.

Why is it special?

1. Efficient and quiet hybrid generation

2. Combines storage output and generator output doubling capacity

3. Smaller unit required due to combined Storage/generator output

4. Variable speed matches load requirements efficiently

And many more advantages!!

M-GV 7i

System power 7kW

Generator power 3.8kW

Inverter power 3.5kW

RPM Range 2.200 - 3400 RPM

This E-Boat is made up of the Genverter and Generator

For more information you can check out earthling.co.nz

Talk us into it Andrey. No info dropping and running please.

Case study 1 -

I currently have a total installation weight of around 65-70kg. That's boat propulsion, charging and storage. Occasionally augmented with a 50W solar panel. Runs everything well and we haven't run out of power in a bit over 5 years with the current set-up ......... and I'll add 'so far' so as knot to tempt fate. Opps, I suppose we should add into that 18kg of fuel assuming the tanks are filled to the max. So a all up weight of say 95-100kg to push the boat, give us lights, cold beer and noise. That system all fully loaded can last us for 3 months odd depending on just how much motoring we do, which is usually knot that much. It will easily cover a 3 week Xmas cruise with plenty left over, assuming we don't get another bloody week of zero wind. Total system replacement cost would be around $7000 assuming top end everything, probably leaving a tad of change.

The question - What goodness would I get I don't have now by swapping to a system like yours?

Knot wanting to be rude nor negative but it appears the system you describe in the post above, which looks to be powering only that dingy does look to be a 25-30K exercise. That's a lot of coin for what are usually the most tight arsed creatures known to man i.e. the average NZ yachtie. I could have read that wrong so please say so if I have.

Hence the 'lets ask the question' post of mine using a real life case study.

I do see merits in the system but would like more info.

yes a photo would be a start. I think this dude might need someone else to write his ads. Must be an engineer because its all lists and specs. What is it anyway some sort of motor with a genny and batteries?

It's in inverter genset. It generates say 12V which is then feed into an inverter to produce the 230V. The load can then vary the RPM of the motor. So at low load, the motor runs at a low RPM and as the load increases, the RPM increases. In this case, being that "earthling" stuff, I imagine it is that flash unit you posted a pic of a few weeks back BBay.

Well apart from cost and added complexity, all these wee "genverters" have some good advantages. First of all, the output is stable no matter what the speed of the generator does, because the output is derived by solidstate electronics. The frequency of our 230V AC system is 50Hz. The frequency is set by the speed of the Genset spinning around and the number of Field windings. In cheaper end Gensets, which is what most of us tend to play with, the output voltage and Frequency are never that accurate. By producing the output by an electronic inverter, then you can create a very stable and set Voltage and frequency. But to drive any electrical device, you need power. A stable output voltage along with the Current to drive it adds up to a combined effort called power. A normal Generator has the motor reving away at maximum so as when the power is demanded, the machine is capable of delivering it. But when the power is not demanded the motor is still running full tilt burning up fuel for nothing. With the inverter type machine, the engine is slowed down to meet the demand of power. In the small Petrol ones, the Genny motor drops right off to idle when no load is connected. If you turn on a small light, the unit revs up slightly to meet the demand. If you switch on 2 lights, the unit revs a little more. Turn on a power tool and the unit revs to meet the start up load and the drops back to continue to meet the required load. Turn on a Microwave and the unit will rev full power to meet the demand. Turn off the loads and the unit will drop back to idle. so it becomes very economical to run because the Genny motor follows the demand of load. The diesel units cannot drop right back to Idle, but they still drop back 1000RPM or so and thus drop noise and fuel usage.

I assume that Mr Earthling is refering to this unit.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 349444.htm

Yeah that one is. So are all the "Marine" gensets. But there are cheapies as well. It's why I could only afford a cheapo Chinese version of which I then modified the exhaust to water cooled and the grand total was $2K for a 6.8K Inverter Genset.

It works OK. But not as quiet as a proper marine unit, because it is air cooled, so it has to have air circulate through it, so no sound case totally enclosing it. But our engine room is well sound proofed, so not an issue for us.

The video is of an E-Boat not a Genverter application sorry, however we do have a 4M catamaran running twin 10Kw drives from a 10KWH LifePO4 bank. For this application we use a 4KW genvereter to directly charge the 50VDC system at 80A. The concept is to use minimum diesel and create minimal noise matching the mechanical input to the electrical load. The genverter varies speed according to load (2400-3600RPM) when not required in shuts down (silent mode) the boat continues with 20KW drive from the Lithium pack. The WhisperPower genverters are the most compact and quiet in the world at 58db, fully marinised liquid cooled. Yes they are real expensive, yes we do have stock in Auckland, Yes we do have systems in place. Best to call the Earthling Environs office if your serious about this new technology. www.earthling.co.nz 09 4264120

Archived