Raven 2

Fogg

Yep, they're a labour of love alright. But in NZ's "aging keelboat and trailer yacht fleet", there's hopefully plenty of scope for youngies to shop round, pick up a good basic yacht, and learn the skills of renovation on these boats. I've noticed that in many countries overseas that older boats are often left to become derelicts up creeks and esturies. At least here in NZ, we do have a culture of restoring, rather than trashing vessels, and I would hope that existing aging and uncaring owners have a charitable side, and pass these boats on at realistic $$$. It seems that this is beginning to happen with some of the classic old kiwi glass production boats from the 70's and 80's.

Having had an older yacht (1953, carvel construction), where we had to re plank, re caulk, and generally overhaul everything due to her having been sunk, I can honestly say that with an older boat you need as a minimum:

- the skills, or people happy to teach you,

- an accessible place keep the boat and the funds to pay for it - or a mate with a place that is cheap or free while you work on the yacht / boat

- the time and tools to do the work

- money enough to get the essential bits and pieces - or people happy to give / donate for the good cause of saving an older boat

- the understanding that you do not do it to make money

- motivation to keep going

Good luck to anyone taking on an older boat with the intention of keeping part of our history afloat.

Archived