Raven 2

Fogg

Received via GHYC:

There was a Raven 26 foot yacht called 'Raven 2" coloured white, moored illegally on a mooring for about 2 months. Upriver of the Stillwater boat club. The Harbourmaster has now removed the yacht. Does anyone have knowledge of the yacht or the owner?

Raven 2.jpg

So many neglected Ravens out there now real shame as theres people out there who would love to look after them for nothing.

I row past Batavier on the piles at Westhaven every weekend and it makes me sad to look at her deteriating and generations of Seagulls being raised on her I could stop off and pump the rain or seawater out of her if I knew who owned her as I know there are some real genuine reasons people ca,nt get out to their boats more often.

Will post something on the Raven Owners Association site too see if anyone knows of Raven 2.

Thanks.

So is this a case where compulsory registration would help i.e. police being able to return a stolen boat to it's rightful owner (as with a car)?

Or imagine if the boat had broken it's moorings and caused damage - it would also be useful to be able to track the rightful owner then?

YNZ have an entry in the Keelboats spreadsheet for a "Raven II" K975 but no owner details listed. Presumably they have those details though and are just not displaying them due to privacy request.

So is this a case where compulsory registration would help i.e. police being able to return a stolen boat to it's rightful owner (as with a car)?

Did I miss the part where it said it was stolen? Moored illegally = squatting, I would have thought.

Seems to be a bit of this going on as falling boat prices bring in new owners who see themselves being able to afford to buy a bargain but perhaps lack the knowledge or budget to properly look after them. Not that easy to move 'em on once they have taken occupancy either.

Did I miss the part where it said it was stolen? Moored illegally = squatting, I would have thought.

Seems to be a bit of this going on as falling boat prices bring in new owners who see themselves being able to afford to buy a bargain but perhaps lack the knowledge or budget to properly look after them. Not that easy to move 'em on once they have taken occupancy either.

Must admit that might be my mistake, I'm not sure it is stolen.

So add another useful scenario to the list for reasons for registation - the authorities being able to locate the owner of a vessel causing a nuisance.

Sadly now at sandspit with a council notice taped on it..Declaration as a wreck or something similar.

I crewed on Raven 2 back in the early 70s for a season or two. Shame to see her go this way.

Sadly now at sandspit with a council notice taped on it..Declaration as a wreck or something similar.

What does it say does that mean the boat will be scrapped or sold off to recover costs etc.

My guess is the notice is declaring it a wreck or a hazard to navigation and requesting the owner to contact the HM, and if this doesn't happen the HM will dispose of.

If you are interested in the boat I suggest you contact the HM and then at least you will be able to get the right story and find out if/when it is going to show up on Trade-me

I think Raven 2 was the first keeler I sailed on, sometime in the 70's. We had a "P class"crew on keelers day. If it's the same boat, it was owned for a period by (ythe late) Binky Manson of Tauranga. Sad to see it in this state, when some young yachtie would give anything to be bequeathed such a yacht, and restore it to fine form again.

Every weekday from the ferry you can see that the Tamaki River is chocka with sad looking keelers that in their day were well respected.

The problem is that any repairs quickly eclipse the value of the boat. Take a tired Raven, discover the motor is knackered and you have a bit of a problem. Unless you can do all the work yourself, how do you sort it without over capitalising the boat?

Sad as it is, it seems the only way these boats will survive is for owners to lavish care and money with their hearts and keep the accountants well away.

Your not wrong Dagwood ,you have too really love the boat too pour the endless money into them.

A lot of the Ravens had Yanmar 8,s and twelve,s in and forty years later they are becoming a bit tired ever tried getting spares for your YSM of the shelf in NZ , heres one example .

A few weeks ago we took the Raven out for a quick motor just to get the oil warm to make it easier to extract with the handpump ,(30minutes running time),half way through heard this horrible sound come from the engine bay open up to find exhaust fumes and seawater being pumped into the boat the connecting Nipple between the exhaust manifold and mixing elbow had completly sheared off through corossion.

Managed to jury rig it up with a few jubilee clips and half a roll of tin foil and duct tape which worked until we got through the gate of Westhaven when it to "Breached " ,managed too coast on to Wynyard wharf (thank god there were no superyachts parked there) and get one of Westhavens Ribs to tow us back to the piles, Thanks guys for that your legends.

Moral of the story check your exhaust components carefully they may look fine from the outside but they corrode from the inside out if this had of happened down the arse end of Waiheke or someting similar we would have been in a lot of trouble .

Whitings recomend replacing every four years at a cost of $890 everytime,we had to get the parts from Singapore which takes two weeks.

Archived