Looking to Crew at the End of Summer, and for some info

TravelingFarmer

Hello all!

Been lurking for a bit and thought I should finally post. Hope this is the right place, otherwise I can move this post to an appropriate topic.

I am looking to crew on a sailing vessel either leaving New Zealand, or I can fly to the proper port. As of current, most of my experience in boating has been in power-boating. Just recently I started prepping for sailing in the Wednesday races from Waiheke. I am looking to leave NZ anytime from January to May. I am healthy, strong, and quick-witted with a rapid grasp of the task at hand. There is no specific position I am looking for, and can preform just about any task shown to me. And I can cook! If it helps, I also volunteer with the local Coast Guard and have acquired several Certifications in the past few months. Boatmaster, Inboard & Outboard maintenance, Coastal Medic II, VHF, etc...

Which brings me to the information part of this inquest. I have come to find that several of the Crew websites want someone to have a stcw95. Does anyone know if those certs. are transferable, are if you think that they would be recognized anywhere but here? Not including the VHF cert. I have been having a heck of a time trying to get clarification in this department, and shelling out $1300 for a piece of paper that "Might" get me on a boat is a bit daunting.

As I stated before, I do not know if this even the right place for this line of questioning, but I sure would appreciate all advice, thoughts, or scoffing... Ha!

-Cheers & Thanks!

Which brings me to the information part of this inquest. I have come to find that several of the Crew websites want someone to have a stcw95. Does anyone know if those certs. are transferable, are if you think that they would be recognized anywhere but here?

-Cheers & Thanks!

STCW = Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping

The '95 refers to the 1995 convention - FYI the Manila amendments (2010) came into force in Jan 2012 (I think) so check that any course you are doing is up to date otherwise you may find you are wasting time and money.

STCW is generally for commercial shipping - so if wanting to work on super yachts they would help.

A STCW certificate should be recognised world-wide.

Take a look at http://www.maritime.ac.nz/for-new-stude ... stcw-basic

That may well be the course needed for a basic deckhand position (un-certificated – that is no AB’s or other cert/qual) on superyachts.

Good Luck

Welcome aboard TravellingFarmer.

OK, cruising yachts usually head north from NZ to the tropical south pacific at the beginning of the southern hemisphere winter which is the end of the southern hemisphere tropical cyclone season (around April/May). Boats are usually travelling south again at the end of winter to avoid the start of the cyclone season (Oct/Nov). There are a multitude of yachts that come across the Pacific along the "coconut milk run" from Panama(ish) across to Tahiti and down thru the south pacific (mostly off the wind) and then the cruisers are faced with the prospect of coming south for the cyclone season.

A lot of cruisers who have basically been doing the easy stuff get all spooked about the passage to NZ because of the wild tales they get told of huge seas and strong (over 25knot) winds, etc. So, there tends to be a demand for extra crew for the southward passage at around this time of year or a little bit later. On the other hand, Kiwis or international cruisers going north for the cruising season tend to want crew for the passage to the islands ... so you may be able to pick up a crew position going north.

Most cruisers who bring an extra crew member or 2 onboard for a passage are basically looking for an easy-going, reasonably responsible person who can stand watch for a while and lend a hand when needed. Experience is a definite plus (nobody wants a crew member who can't handle being out of sight of land) but not necessarily a must have. A little bit of seasickness can be tolerated but if you become a total woos and curl up in a ball for 3 days the skipper may not be too impressed. Being handy, willing and enthusiastic goes a long way.

If I were you TravellingFarmer, I'd be enjoying the upcoming Kiwi summer spending time on the water and getting acquainted with yachts in particular (lots of boats look for crew for racing and everyone has to start somewhere) and then look for a crew position going north for next year's tropical cruising season.

Archived