Filling holes in GRP

What's the best way to fill old deck fitting holes in GRP?

Not keen to repaint but have a few holes to fill without it looking to ugly.

Any ideas?

OMG! You have got to be joking :wtf:

Get White Polyester Gel coat, get pigment paste, mix Colour to Match, slightly counter sink hole, mix and fill, sand smooth, finish with 1500 - 2000 wet and dry, polish smooth To match gloss Of Surrounding gel coat.

Or ... because you don,t agree with anything I say...

GOOGLE IT! :crazy:

polyester gelcoat needs a wax additive to make it surface dry ( nz16 from memory, will look in back of dg tomorrow ). It's designed to go onto a waxed mould surface, then the next polyester/glass layers chemically adher to it. ( if its too thin you get all sorts of issues but thats another story ).

So depending on where your getting it from you may be better with flowcoat ( pre waxed gelcoat designed for thick topcoating over polyester/glass )

you can successfull do what jp has said by mould release waxing some clear plastic and laying it over the repair untill dry. carefull with the catylst ratio too much will boil it so to speak, and to little or to humid and it wont go off.

you can also just under fill the holes as jp's method with epoxy, then give scotch brite when dry and pencil paint the remainder.

tip - make sure you tape up the bottom of the hole well, and i recomend you countersink the bottom of the hole as well.

I have some 450gm glass plate which i can cut out with sizzors, and will typically 5minute epoxy on a disc internally. Or make a pre painted cover plate, if it's in full vision.

Also if you trying to colour match the old gelcoat polish it before you start anything, and if adding wax solution it will yellow it slightly.

Guest mental outlook

Gary can you tint Flowcoat? I have a grey deck and filling with epoxy and then adding a flowcoat top to it sounds easier than using gelcoat.

yup it comes in basic light shades. and they can do matches

you can add west 411 filler powder to it and do it all with flow coat if its easier than buying lots of different products.

just mix a slurry up, catylies at 20/25% flush or undercut fill ( basically flush fill then clean excess with a rag so it will end up clean and under )

when its go off mix up some flow coat 18/20% in dot it on top. chop sticks, nails screws etc work well for that part

Thanks guys :thumbup: it's just white jell coat and not to fussy so off the shelf should o the trick :thumbup:

Another question, can you put epoxy resin over GRP? Or is it beeter to stick with polyester?

yes on old grp its fine clean it well and sand it with at least 60 grit.

it doesnt like new grp especially if its unwaxed resin

Awesome thanks :thumbup:

yup, when you add extender powders pre mixing the catalyst you need to up the ratio a touch as the powders seem to absorb it a tad

just remember humidity and mosture arent your friends with polyester based systems

Guest mental outlook

Awesome thanks. Think straight flow-coat is the way forward.

One (two) last question(s)... what sort of consistency should the slurry be and should it be applied through a syringe?

how long is a piece of string? how big is the hole.... keep it wet/satin looking probably just spautlar it in, you working time is quite short, so you may need a lot of horse syringes

you want it wet enough to full and stick, but not flow out if on a virtical surface, just think car bog but on the runny side

Archived