lpg cylinders on a Lotus 10.6

pseudonym

Hi. We have just taken possession of a Lotus 10.6 and the previous owners had 2x 4.5kg lpg cylinders laying horizontally in the gas locker at the rear (locker just in front of rudder). My understanding is that laying lpg cylinders on their sides is a big no-no (there is such a thing as horizontal gas cyliders - ask anyone who runs a forklift - however finding one in NZ of any size has been fruitless - and we only need a small one - 3.3kg would be about big enough as anything with a wider diameter than 245mm wont fit through the opening) . Can I ask if anyone has a Lotus 10.6 and how they mounted lpg cylinders. The locker has an opening on the top of 245mm x 470mm and a height from the floor (deck level) to the underside of the top of the locker of 350mm. We can fit a couple of 2Kg bottles in there vertically, however with a califont and gas cooker I wonder how long the gas would last with 4 adults on board when off cruising?

Under the gas code AS/NZS 5601.2 section 3.1.3 lpg cylinders must be installed upright unless specifically designed to be installed horizontally

as for consumption if you only plan on using them for cooking and cleaning up with hot water they should last ok but with out knowing the rating of your califont and the amount of use it will get its hard to guess

those cylinders have an up tube (tube going to top of the bottle to draw gas and not liquid) and need to be mounted with this in mind also need to be mounted in fore and aft configuration as opposed to athwartships so you don't pick up liquid LPG while motor sailing, once quite common though not sure how the fare with new regulations etc nowadays

Archived