Anyone know a Rick Everest?

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am trying to locate a friend, Rick Everest, who belongs to New Zealand, lives on his Yacht and spends his time sailing around the globe. I know there must be many such people in New Zealand, but he is a good friend and I wish to get back in touch with him, so I request your assistance to locate him.

I met Rick at Kochi (formerly Cochin), Kerala, India in early 2004.His 40-odd foot yacht, the Sir George, has been involved in a collision and was being refitted. We became good friends over the couple of months that I was able to meet him, sharing a number of common interests including sailing, music, and the general outlook on life. In May, 2004 I had to leave Kochi on work and by the time of my return, he had already sailed out after completing repairs. Regrettably, I could not find the time to get back in touch with him as I was extremely busy with work commitments. It was only after the Tsunami happened in December, 2004 that I realised that he had said he'd be sailing to Thailand, where he wanted to get some of the finer outfitting jobs done, which he wasn't able to get done to his satisfaction in Kochi. Unable to raise him on email, I did try to get in touch with your embassy in 2005, but received no response. I began to fear that he was one of the vistims of the Tsunami.After a few more attempts, I gave up and the matter remained unresolved. Then the other day I came across the visiting card he'd given me, and the wish to get back into touch with him was re-awakened. I want to get in touch my old friend, and assure myself that he is safe and well.

The details I have of him are as follows:-

He is about 5'6", extremely fit, with weathered features and a wiry build. Originally a native of the UK, I understand he was a FIFA referee for many years. He settled in New Zealand, his children are grown up and settled with their own families, and he is essentially a free bird upon the high seas, so to speak.

His Yacht, the "Sir George" (named after his uncle or grand-uncle (I forget which) Sir George Everest, after whom Mount Everest is named) is registered at Wellington New Zealand, Call Sign ZM 2090.

His email IDs I have (both non-responsive) are: sv_sirgeorge@hotmail.com and fairwindsnz@yahoo.com.

As large organisations associated with yachting in New Zealand, I'm sure you would all collectively be in touch with most of the sailing fraternity in your country. And as sailors, I hope you can understand the wish to make contact with a sailor who has been out for a long time.

I will be extremely grateful if you could pass the word around and help me find my friend. Please feel free to pass my email address and mobile phone number to anyone; I shall welcome emails / messages / calls from anybody who can help me trace out Rick.

I recall the evenings spent on his fine yacht alongside at Kochi, with us singing songs and I playing my guitar, and it will be a great source of satisfaction to me to know that he is alive and well.

I shall look forward to hearing from you in this regard. May I also request for an acknowledgement if you agree to help me in this matter?

Thanking you and will all anticipation of your early success,

Sincerely,

PS Vombatkere

Bangalore, India

Mobile +919900058193

Email psvombatkere@gmail.com

Archived