AIS - from thread that has been drifted

rigger

Continued from - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20646&start=110

BTW - what Marinetraffic describes as a base station is not a base station according to them that make the rules - The IMO, ITU, IALA.... Depending upon the full spec of the gear they supply it may qualify as a limited base station but even they (a limited base station) can transmit - which the Marinetraffic ones cannot.

Marinetraffic.com is a bit like Wikipedia - they do not have everything right.

You should do some research on IMO resolutions, ITU recommendations and IALA guidelines:

There are different kinds of AIS Fixed Stations, such as the AIS Base Station, the limited AIS Base Station, and the AIS Simplex Repeater Station. The differences between each type of AIS fixed

stations are explained below:

1 The AIS base station is compatible with all BAS and is typically deployed and operated by competent authorities.

2 The Limited Base Station (LBS) is only compatible with a sub-set of all the BAS and is intended for competent authorities that require some AIS functionality without being able to manage the VDL. They are typically deployed by port authorities, ferry terminals or other such types of localised organizations.

3 The AIS Simplex Repeater Station is a store and forward repeater for AIS VDL messages aimed at increasing AIS coverage of a competent authority without requiring a complete AIS base station installation. It can also be used to autonomously retransmit AIS VDL messages to improve AIS station to AIS station communications.

A comment I often see in all these ads for AIS is rather concerning. "Works just like", or "works kind of like Radar, but better". Well you could say my VHF works kind of like my Radar, but better. That's if the main concern was communicating via voice. But rather useless in seeing land. AIS should be seen as yet another tool. It is not like or better than any other tool. Radar is as it is. AIS will not identify land or any vessel not transmitting AIS. The only commonality is that some AIS units can send their info to some Radar units, in which it can then get layed over the Radar image.

Archived