Ross 930 Mast Compression Loadings

Any Ross 930 owners out there have an idea what the design loadings are for the mast compression structure. Mine just failed under average wind and sea conditions and I want to rebuild it. Helpful to know what sort of loading I need to engineer it for.

My inclination is to fabricate in stainless versus wood because its what i know best but if anyone has an opinion I will be interested to hear it.

Cheers

J

Give Tony Smith the owner of Fast Company a call Jon. His went 3-4 years ago and he replaced it with a big lump of wood. He will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Tony runs Westhaven Marine Brokers. 0275 4 BOATS (0275 426287)

I would imagine you'd see around 4500-5000kg of mast step compression in your usual upwind trim with runners applied. If you're using tight luffed code zero type sails up wind you'll see more than the designed compression loads for sure.

I would imagine you'd see around 4500-5000kg of mast step compression in your usual upwind trim with runners applied. If you're using tight luffed code zero type sails up wind you'll see more than the designed compression loads for sure.

Thanks for that I was thinking 5000Kg would get me in the ball park. It does make the existing structure look a bit inadequate but the boat has survived many sea miles over its life so it can't have been that marginal.

j

Thanks for that I was thinking 5000Kg would get me in the ball park. It does make the existing structure look a bit inadequate but the boat has survived many sea miles over its life so it can't have been that marginal.

j

You should get real numbers from someone who's done the calcs if possible. I'm just guessing from what Wild Thing is engineered for, and some other similar boats I've had involvement with. The 930 rigs were well under cooked in their first incarnation, so there's a chance the boats step structure could be on the limit also. See if you can get the designed numbers from Murray Ross, then compare them to someones numbers with a new rig. There might be a gap!

Guest Saturday Night Special

Being deck steped as long as the post under the Cabintop has a longditudinal seat well glassed into the keelson of the boat it should carry most loads seen ,The problem generally with modern light displacment boats is point loading and no load distribution for and aft and athwart ships and they crack badly under the Mast step on the outside generally due to the boats beam closing up under rig loads

Is that vertically under the mast? Or for and aft between the bulkheads? :-)

Vertical under the mast.

Knot all boats have 2 bulkheads, or in the odd case any bulkheads at all in the region. My bulkheads wouldn't support the mast without work. The post isn't in the way nor a pain, in fact it's handy to hang dunny paper off and to hold onto if Otto is driving while you are 'unloading ballast', he is a rough bastard ;)

As noted by others above, yes mine does sit on plenty of meat.

Archived