Sailing help needed in Whangerai

Joline1

Hi there, my name is Philip, a 56yr old Englishman and I own Joline, a classic 36ft English Hillyard mahogany carvel planked yacht. She is to be put back into the water on tue 15th jan and all being well I intend to sail my socks off around the harbour and then up to the bay of islands. I have very little experience of sailing and would love to hear from anyone who is keen to help me. She is a sound ship, but after being out of the water for 9 months, she may take a few days to settle in. Ideally you will have lots of sailing experience and are keen to get out there and sail and teach me all I need to know! phone or txt me if you are interested, 027 952 2597, thanks phil

Hi Phil, welcome back on the water, she might take a little while to take up. I guess you have 4'6" to 5' draft which will get you over most of the sand banks an hour or 2 either side of high tide. If you head up past the cement works you can get as far as the old Oakley wharf area, there is enough water to anchor in the channel. It is marked all the way but you will need to feel your way at times after the cement wharves as the markers can be as much as 75 metres NW of the channel. All the other useable anchorages are on your port hand on the way out to the main port. A Harbour chart or handheld GPS with the relevant chip in it will get you most places safely. Just be aware that the Cement boat / barge can head out / in at any time of the day or night if you are anchoring near the channel off Limestone Island, public holidays inc. I can recommend Whangaruru as a safe harbour for a day sail up, over night, and return when the mood moves you. Elizabeth reef needs to be given a clear berth, but once you know the area there isn't much to worry about.

Thanks Steve, that's a great help. She has a 5ft draft so you guessed right. Going out to get a harbour chart today. How long does it take to sail from Whangerai to the bay of islands...Joline is not the fastest ship around! phil

The longer you take, the more fun you will have - there is a lot to be seen and enjoyed between Whangarei and the Bay (and again further north of the Bay).

High up on my shopping list would be the Pickmere Atlas of Northland's East Coast - although this has been out of print for a number of years, they still come up on Trademe and in fact there is one in Whangarei currently. They are somewhat costly but you will never regret having bought it and what you get to experience as a result. Just buy it and forget what it cost you, would be my advice.

In terms of charts, it would also make sense to have Cape Brett to Bream Tail (NZ 521 - basically the Bay of Islands to Whangarei) and possibly also the Bay of Islands chart (NZ 5125). Personally I would/do rely on the Pickmere Atlas from pretty much everywhere else.

The Royal Akarana Coastal Cruising Guide is also good and still in print and available at the usual chandleries. It is set up differently to Pickmere with more narrative but if I had to have only one, Pickmere would be the winner.

You can have a browse through (and download the charts) here:

http://www.linz.govt.nz/hydro/charts/nz ... -catalogue

Hi Phil,

Derek here, i am a Canadian sailor, much experience, though none in NZ. I am looking to do some sailing and could help out with your boat between Feb 15-24. Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers,

Derek

The best idea is to pick your weather once you decide to venture outside, often Northland can have 4 seasons in one day. If you can avoid being tied down by a timetable you will have a much more relaxing time. There are many coves / bays on the way up to the B.O.I and further North that you can venture into as you become confident.

I had a friend with a Lidguard 38 that he learnt he art of sailing single handed on, he picked his weather and sailed successfully for several years up and down the coast.

I have both the Pickmeres and the Royal Akarana books and have found them both useful, But my hand held garmin is by far my most used and valuable navigation tool.

Archived