Alcohol Sponsorship and Water Sports

Here is a quote re N.Z. Laws,

"We also have a few legal restrictions. Due to Government legislation we’re unable to support sponsorship requests involving motor or water sports; or from anyone or any group with members under the legal purchase age."

ETNZ Latest Photo

http://www.sail-world.com/photos_2013_1/Alt_February%204%202013ETNZ%205.jpg

Any Comments how they got around this.

"We also have a few legal restrictions. Due to Government legislation we’re unable to support sponsorship requests involving motor or water sports; or from anyone or any group with members under the legal purchase age."

Who is the 'we'?

Anyone else remember Dalton accepting sponsorship from some govt entity that was put in place to ease the transition to zero tobacco sponsorship, then struggling to stop smoking? Maybe one day he'll have to stop drinking.

Principle 3 says not to show water sports in any adverts.

No it does not, it states not to show or imply consumption.

Principle 3

Liquor advertisements shall not depict or imply the consumption of liquor in potentially hazardous situations or include any unsafe practices.

Liquor advertisements shall not offer motor vehicles or boats as prizes in any competition.

Notes

Principle 3 (a) applies to advertisements depicting or implying the consumption of liquor by people in motor vehicles or boats, or while participating in swimming or other water sports, or other activities where the consumption of liquor by those participating is potentially hazardous.

It is permissible to depict the consumption of liquor after the activity has ended, provided that no unsafe practice is involved.

Who is the 'we'?

Does it make a difference not you.

A reputable brewery

Dominion Brewies.

AUCKLAND

I was highlighting the fact that the principles do not prohibit showing water sports.

All depends upon the interpretation of the company making the advert.

By the principles:

- showing someone on a boat drinking - not allowed

- showing someone on a boat then the next scene shows same person having a drink ashore - is ok.

Does it make a difference not you.
Of course it makes a difference Coastalonlycruiser. I can sponsor whatever I like, as most companies can, so I was wondering who the 'we' was, someone like the Govt who does have to follow stupid stuff, some PC outfit pandering to the dumb masses or real people. Looks like PC it is.
see principle 5 - that covers the sponsorship angle.

though how they define 5e I do not know

the way i read 5 is...

You can advertise the companies name (Subordinatley :wtf: ) but not any message blah blah blah (Principle 5 b,c,d,e,...)

Sooo OC is :? going on :crazy:

Principle 3 (a) applies to advertisements depicting or implying the consumption of liquor by people in motor vehicles or boats, or while participating in swimming or other water sports, or other activities where the consumption of liquor by those participating is potentially hazardous.

The mare fact that it is a alcohol product is suffient. What do you do with alcohol like VODKA.

Water your pot plants some might argue with not much success.

I tried to get DB sponsorship some years ago and they tried every thing to be on board at the time Steinlager was sponsoring Peter Blake. After some weeks they advised it was not possible and I would be not surprised that they lodge a complaint against LION Brewies because neither LION or DB have sponsored a boat since in NZ or any other alcohol product. You used to see CARUBA Jamaca rum a lot on spinnakers, you don't see them now.

If they had the brand name and not the word VODA then that would probably be ok. Even the word Brewery is not acceptable and not allowed.

I doubt a whole crew wearing t shirts during a race would be allowed.

In most cases nothing is done untill an offical complaint is received. Much like the police can't act in a lot of cases even if they know untill a complaint is received.

I was highlighting the fact that the principles do not prohibit showing water sports.

All depends upon the interpretation of the company making the advert.

By the principles:

- showing someone on a boat drinking - not allowed

- showing someone on a boat then the next scene shows same person having a drink ashore - is ok.

But ETNZ is not showing water sport -- they are showing alcohol on a boat on the water.

I understand where you are coming from OC, just not where you are going. :D

Ask Crew Ogre how "legal" his Mount Gay Advertising Flags are or the Add at the top left of your screen is.

As i see it useing a Sponsors name as advertising is Ok. Having some half dressed chick swilling said product or some sailor dude pouring it "in a picture/ad is not allowed...

and definitely not allowed between 6.00pm and 830pm :lol:

ETNZ is OK in my mind .... But Interpretation is a slippery slope that only lawyers benefit from.

and... what do i do with Vodka? you ask.... Start BBQ's with the sh*t stuff!

Is crew org on the water or on a boat and on the water. Crew org is a web site on the internet in nowhere land.

Have you tried to start BBQ's with the stuff if it is not heated and no paper.

At least 74 deg cel for it to catch fire.

Thanks for giving me knowledge about this destination regarding water sports. It’s my favorite game .I always play this game whenever I gets opportunity. If I get an opportunity to go there I will go there for playing water sports. Thanks for telling us about this location.

Archived