Bukh 10 Parts wanted

Hi all,

Winter is here, so the hard graft on the long 'to do' list starts!

First, my poor wee unloved, little used, poorly/un maintained Bukh 10 is in need of some love. It's a Direct Drive (Shaft drive) Lightweight Marine model.

Does anyone have any spare parts for it that they would like to sell? I'm keen to have spares of all the usual suspects.....

- fuel lift pump

- fuel injector pump

- fuel injector

- water pump

- raw water thermostat

- fuel shutoff solenoid

- valves

- rings

- Head Gasket

- Maybe a complete head ready to slap on if the need arose???

- Gear box

What else would you suggest having on hand as a spare? (and please dont say 'nothing... it'd be better off filling the mooring block'....I'm quite attached to my little Bukh)

Your best shot will be trade me or the engine room

I sold my old Bukh 10 for $800

Yeah....the engine room want gold, and not much comes up on trademe, (although I have just picked up a fuel shut off solenoid from TradeMe).

I was rather hoping someone on crew.org might have spares parts, (or a whole engine :thumbup: ), kicking around that I could pick up for something less than gold!

Still interested in what everyone thinks the standard spares list for, say, a 4 week passage would be...... :?: :?: :?:

I would add impeller to that list too. Although my old BUKH was so clogged up it had no water cooling around the cylinder and it still ran fine. Pretty sure these engines run for ever.

Good sails is a must :thumbup:

Agreed, they crap out fairly often. The trick is that outside of those really simple things there isn't a lot else I would want to tackle on a diesel while at sea, so if it craps out you sail to where you are going and deal with the problem when you get there. It's surprisingly easy to get parts and assistance in even the most out of the way places, and can be a fun and educational experience as well.

With that list, it looks like a complete rebuild. But I am surprised to see a Fuel shut off solinoid. I thought these engines were made before Electricity was invented :wink:

I thought these engines were made before Electricity was invented :wink:

Geez Wheels.....there's a thought!......no wonder it wouldn't work! I just assumed the same! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So going back a step, is there something wrong with the wee motor?

I had a guy ask me to take a look at his engine, about 12months ago. He said it was blowing black smoke and thought it probably needed a rebuild. He had already put that idea off a year and figured he better not keep putting the job off any longer. So I motored out to his boat and watched him start her up. No problem, she started nicely and idled away. I thought hmmm. OK put it in gear! which he did. Idled a bit ruff and seemed under a bit of load. OK up the revs, which he did and the wee thing just loaded up, belched black smoke and labored away not achieving anything Hmmmm. OK take it out of gear and open the throttle. The wee engine immediately did as it was asked and reach full revs and no smoke. Hmmmm, so once again I asked him to try it in gear and this time I looked over the back at the prop wash. As the revs were applied, I saw bits and pieces shoot out amongst the wash.Hmmmmm. OK, back to idle and in neutral please. It happily obeyed and then I said, OK shut her off.

Question! when was the last time the bottom was cleaned? His reply was, Oh it's been a couple of years overdue. Righty, so have you ever thought about how dirty the prop may be?? Ummm.....do you think it could be fouled?? :roll:

There is nothing wrong with it at the moment, but I've done quite a lot to it in the last year.....and I have a feeling there is a bit more to come.

I've replaced both valves (at $150 each!!) with inserts for the valve seats, and a light head plane. (The exhaust valve was quite badly corroded and there was exhaust coming back through the air intake :shock: !)

The injector pump has been taken apart, freed up (the 'knob' that the camshaft actuates wouldn't come back back down, so no fuel to the injector), and now seems to be as good as gold. I was relieved that was the case, because a new Injector pump from The Engine Room was quoted at more than $1700+ GST!

But I just know there is more to come. This is a little motor that has had bugger all use in the last 5 years, had nothing done to it....not even wintered down....and is salt water cooled, with all of the corrosion issues that go with that. The raw water pump works fine now, but must surely be on its last legs, the fuel lift pump works fine, but must surely be on its last legs, there is just a hint of darker smoke out of the exhaust coupled with a little stubborn to start ( I think due to poor compression) the rings will need doing in the near future. When I did the valves, the piston and piston clearance was excellent, so it really only leaves the rings, which I now regret not having inspected.

The gearbox occasionally slips out of gear when at very low RPM, (near idle speed). This wont be helped by the gear lever, which should be activated by a cable (that would keep it in the Engaged position), being operated by two bits of cord!!! :x :x :x :x :x Even so, its a sure sign the gearbox will need attention in the very near future.

I've been under and got rid of a few barnicles on the prop (gee those things can hold on!), so no issues there at least!

Archived