Southern ocean and south pacific voyage

delatbabel

Hi all,

The two crew that I had found for this journey have sadly had to withdraw for personal reasons, so I am looking for 2 crew for a journey.

Sailing from: Sydney, NSW, in September 2013 to Newcastle. Will stay there a few months, then leaving Newcastle in December 2013, via Lord Howe Island, to Nelson then Lyttleton in New Zealand. Leaving Lyttleton in March 2014 to sail via the "roaring forties" of the southern ocean, then north to Raivavae in French Polynesia.

From April 2014 to November 2014 will then be island hopping from Raivavae/Tahiti/Cook Islands/Samoa/Fiji and then on to Vanuatu.

CREW WANTED for some or all parts of the journey. IN PARTICULAR I am after 2 hardy and experienced crew to help me sail the boat on an adventure across the southern ocean, starting in Newcastle via Lyttleton to Raivavae. This part of the journey will be rough, and in parts cold and wet as we take on the roaring forties (although most of that will be down wind).

CHIARA STELLA is a steel cutter rigged vessel of 40ft on deck, with all of the safety features. Constructed in Holland in 1982 and refitted recently, I won't bore you with the details but it's a solid ocean going vessel having already circumnavigated twice.

PREFERABLY I am after a couple (genders not important, but having a couple on board will make the sleeping arrangements a bit easier) who believe they can handle the voyage from Lyttleton to Raivavae. Either side of that you're welcome to join in the Sydney to Newcastle leg or the Newcastle to Lyttleton leg, although if you were willing to tackle the southern ocean I can find less hardy crew for the shorter legs.

Respond here or email me directly: del at babel dot com dot au (and do the usual substitutions to turn that into a real email address).

1. Boat Name, Hailing Port, including country: CHIARA STELLA, Sydney, Australia

2. Type and size of boat: 40ft sailing vessel, cutter rig, steel hull.

3. Will the boat's owner be aboard (yes/no): yes

4. What is the relationship of the skipper to boat owner if owner won't be aboard (Relative/friend, Employee/delivery skipper): owner

5. How many other crew will be aboard during this passage: owner + 2, total 3

6. How many children will be aboard during this passage: none

7. Children's ages (infant through 18 y.o.): NA

8. How many pets (and type) will be aboard during this passage: 1 cat

9. Present boat location (Port including Country): Sydney, Australia

10. Starting point of passage advertised for crew: Newcastle, Australia or Lyttleton, New Zealand.

11. Approximate date trip will start (month/year): December 2013 or March 2014

12. Approximate length of trip: 4 months or 1 month.

13. Expected destination of trip: Raivavae, and then onwards to Vanuatu.

14. Duties crew member will be expected to perform: Sailing, watch-keeping, cooking, keeping own self safe and seamanlike.

15. Desired sailing experience level for crew member to already have: At least one major ocean passage.

16. Expected daily cost-share for trip (in US Dollar): From Sydney to Raivavae, nil, I will be covering all costs. From Raivavae onwards, shared food and beverage cost only (alcohol is at your own expense).

17. Skipper states that the expected daily cost-share stated is for FOOD only and doe not include fuel, boat operating costs, marina fees, or any other expenses of cruising nor for profit (yes/no):Yes

I did that first part of that trip back in the early 80's. Great trip.

Don't worry about typing your email normally, we aren't that anal around here.

Raivavae is a cool place, I was there a couple of months ago for a week or so.

The pass is well marked, customs clearance is easy to organise, there are some supplies available, and it's generally an island paradise. If you have any questions or theres local info that you're after, feel free to ask.

Hi I've just read your post`and having done the crossing from whangarei to gambiers in french polynesia this year i would be very kean to head to raivavae, the crossing was great. Let me know if your crew doesnt work out prior to the leg from lyttelton as I will be available then and very kean. Hope it all goes well otherwise :)

Guest Wombat13X

Very keen to know if you have found your crew yet.

Have you been to Lytn yet? If not, I'd be interested in meeting up with you there at Lytn.

Have had experience on yachts to the States and to the islands.

Regards

Archived