Feedback - Where to?

Aussie

Hey Everyone,

RAYC are planning for 2014 and need some help with deciding where to race to in November 2014.

Traditionally we host the Round White Island Race, however the question has been asked is perhaps we need to mix it up a bit and do something else.

http://www.rayc.co.nz/whereto

Jump over to the website and complete the survey if a race on there suits your fancy, otherwise complete the online form and suggest somewhere else.

Thanks heaps for taking part!!! :-)

Where-To.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has taken part in the Royal Akarana Yacht Club "Where To" campaign!!! We have received 43 votes to date with some great feedback coming through.

Feedback Received:

Where: Picton / Nelson

Why: Maybe there is an opportunity for a race / rally from Auckland to Marlborough Sounds. Leaving around boxing day for the race fleet with a prizegiving ceremony New Years day at a yacht club in Marlborough / Nelson area. Good way to get a boat to the sounds for some summer cruising. I would be a starter.

Where: Akld to Tauranga + Tga – Akld 2 legged

Why: Tga club will supply berths etc.for stop over yachts. 2 legged race

Other Suggestions: Around the islands race – Little Barrier Cuvier – Mercs (inside)- Mayor – White Is – Motiti (inside) – Mercs (outside) – Channel – home !!??

Where: White Island or 3 Kings

Why: I’ve started booking crew for white Island in 14 but if it changes to 3 kings that would be fine to but would then like to do White Is following. Alternate yrs could be perfect.

Where: Three Kings

Why: An opportunity to get off the top of NZ, the three kings islands are beautiful, a good challenge & nice distance race. Could possibly finish in the BOI to get a destination feel with prize giving, but happy to make it an out & back race.

Other Suggestions: Round three kings, but add in another mark on the way out or back like Gt Mercury to add a bit of interest rather than just a straight up & back.

Where: Race to anywhere along a line of lat or long and back

Why: Something different, don’t think it’s been done before, in NZ anyway

Where: Raoul Island

Why: True offshore race that does not involve plane trips for family etc. Great lead up for the solo Tasman Sailors and decent length for the Sydney Hobart mob. Lets train ourselves with events to dominate the world stage some more! Also great testing for the newer yacht designers being relatively close to home. If Swirly World can do it why not the rest of us?

Where: Picton

Why: Getting up the sounds would be a challenge for most – and Picton is highly underrated as a destination. It would be good marketing and add a touch of difference to the regatta. The Straits can be fun – and East Coast or West it would be an entertaining trip. I reckon this is a fantastic idea!

Other Suggestions: Enough stuffing around inshore – A quick lap around the Kermadec Islands would be cool. Auckland, Kermadec Islands, BOI for a beer.

Where: Three Kings

Why: An attractive area to sail in. Warm. Does not require a return crew or voyage.

If you've got an opinion on where we should race to then vote in the survey or complete the form!

http://rayc.co.nz/whereto/

THANKS!!!

Where: Picton / Nelson

Why: Maybe there is an opportunity for a race / rally from Auckland to Marlborough Sounds. Leaving around boxing day for the race fleet with a prizegiving ceremony New Years day at a yacht club in Marlborough / Nelson area. Good way to get a boat to the sounds for some summer cruising. I would be a starter.

There's a bit of merit to that one. It could make the race more 'family' interactive i.e. Wife and the kids come to meet the finish then cruise for a bit in a new spot. Also there isn't much else like it I can think of off the top of my head.

I have done both and they are great races. Rail island would be a challenge. Truly off-shore. Cat3+ might not be good enough for that one. What about Ak - Tauranga - Russell - Auckland. Start at 6.00pm for the first leg. The Southern 600 was a great series. Good length races and the last one finishing at Kawau meant that the fleet got together on the Saturday at the end of the race.

Archived