Recommend a good shipper/shipping company-40 ft containers?

I have some quotes already, but always like to support the yachting fraternity too.

We are now producing and need to send Shaws around the world; specifically Perth, Gladstone, Sydney, San Diego.

We can send either RORO or in container most of which are LCL but not sure how easy it is to stack the rest of the container with malarky. Our future volumes are only going to go up up up.

Any recommended shipping firms that can handle our logistics or guys who are part of this forum who wish to quote?

We can ship out of Auckland or Tuaranga.

Anyone used ppl they recommend as 'da bomb'?

I have some quotes already, but always like to support the yachting fraternity too.

We are now producing and need to send Shaws around the world; specifically Perth, Gladstone, Sydney, San Diego.

We can send either RORO or in container most of which are LCL but not sure how easy it is to stack the rest of the container with malarky. Our future volumes are only going to go up up up.

Any recommended shipping firms that can handle our logistics or guys who are part of this forum who wish to quote?

We can ship out of Auckland or Tuaranga.

Anyone used ppl they recommend as 'da bomb'?

I have used Bernard International Frieght Forwarders to bring in a number of containers and a couple of boats.

Good guys, know their sh*t and owner is a long time yachty.

Accord and Ellerys both good and one even good lookin ;)

Pales here on Crew and I think we have another as well.

The list is endless, generally use the same ships and all do pretty much the same thing.

Find one that makes sense and if they cock-up there's plenty of others waiting in the wings.

Having done a bit of exporting and importing, the FCL / LCL issue is interesting.

I did a major analysis of the costs involved, trying to achieve best economics from the viewpoint of the person who has to pay "ALL" the bills. Also to compare costs between shipments of the same types of goods to have more accurate retail price estimates for getting orders from retailers, and for having to charge the actual cost increases separately on invoices as per Muldoon's Price Freeze Regulations.

The most expensive factors were the handling charges getting the goods from the warehouse to the ships side, and from the arrival port to inside the destination warehouse.

The freight quoted rates was the cheapest part. CABAF's multiply that rapidly!!

I worked out (by hand!!! Oh for a spreadsheet back then!!) that the breakeven point was that you could import 3.28 cubic metres of goods inside a 20ft FCL container from Japan to Auckland, providing you did not incur minimum "Ocean Freight" costs. These can be obtained e.g. when reefers are being repositioned, or if you have a friendly shipping company / sales rep.

The differing exchange rates did not shift the breakeven volume very much at all. Even a 10% devaluation (massive financial crash in todays lingo) only changed the breakeven volume to about 3.3cu.m.

It was all the Port Handling charges, local cartage, wharf cranage that shifted the breakeven point, and of course the minimum freight fee.

Even with a minimum freight fee, the breakeven was about 15cu.m. or about 60% of the container space. I can't remember exact numbers, except for the incredible 3.28cu.m. as we could not believe it and so checked all factors many times, even down to identifying all the components of shipping charges, seperating costs into volume related costs, value related costs, fixed one off costs and contingency costs.

We had to unload the truck in any event wether FCL or LCL. So getting a container dropped at our the warehouse door and collected say 2 hours later was very easy. Our goods were all in cartons, easily moved by hand trucks.

Remember: "It's only YOUR money they want!!"

Archived