Aratere's prop

wheels

Sorry. I am terrible at writing and conveying what I am thinking.

To add to that, I know I have poor grammer and my spelling is atrocious. I am dyslexic as well as other problems. Thankfully we have any incorrect spelling automatically red lined now, so I can try different means of spelling a word till I get it right. Plus I read all my posts back to myself now before posting, to try and word it as accurately to make sense, but I know it still isn't perfect.

We ran over a massive (suspect) log one night just short of tory that folded every blade to the point we had to shut the engine down. It Also bent the frame immediately under the me which shifted the alignment but the shaft stayed in place. It wasn't even bent.

It's all a bit odd and the out come could be interesting!

Im one short course away from getting my mec3 (3rd engineer) on the Aratere but I've worked on all the ferries except the hura including all the Blue bridge.

Good Luck. Where are you doing the courses?

I was teaching part of the MEC5 course while taking the course in Auckland a few years back. Decided against doing the MEC3 as it was not needed for the job.

Are you going to do your Chiefs later?

Im thinking Nelson because I don't know anyone there. Auckland use to be my old sailing stomping ground which means there would be too many sailing distractions instead of studying! !

I'd like to upgrade the boat to a pogo 12.50 so chiefs is firmly in my sights!

Im thinking Nelson because I don't know anyone there. Auckland use to be my old sailing stomping ground which means there would be too many sailing distractions instead of studying! !

I'd like to upgrade the boat to a pogo 12.50 so chiefs is firmly in my sights!

Haha. A man after my own heart! When you get your Chief's ticket, come offshore Aussie. 4 week turn around and great money!! You'll be on that Pogo in no time! :D :D Chiefs make almost as much as Dive techs!! :D :D :D Good taste in boats too! Always liked the Pogos!

Thanks for all the updates mate. Makes it "real" coming from someone on board. When you say you hit a log, was that on the Aratere? Could answer a few questions! Ever twisted a round bar 90 degrees then polished it up? We did it at tech once. You can reduce the tensile strength of the shaft to a fraction of what it should be, but outwardly it shows no signs... Always amazed me that one!

I figured dive tecs must get paid lots going by how awesome Marshall law looks!

Wouldn't a pogo 1250 be ideal for nz especially us here in mana with the bar. Bring on rni then!

We hit the log on Monte Stello (boy do I have story's from the ship! !) and dry docked in Auckland. I was fortunate enough to be involved in the process of reshaping the prop that was delicate!

The money from the offshore would Def help but not sure the lady is so Keen on that with a 7 month old at home! Until then my trusty cav will have to do. .. bring on the one ton cup revisit. ..Smithy you keen join us for that!? We can swap wtf stories from the shipping world!

I figured dive tecs must get paid lots going by how awesome Marshall law looks!

Wouldn't a pogo 1250 be ideal for nz especially us here in mana with the bar. Bring on rni then!

We hit the log on Monte Stello (boy do I have story's from the ship! !) and dry docked in Auckland. I was fortunate enough to be involved in the process of reshaping the prop that was delicate!

The money from the offshore would Def help but not sure the lady is so Keen on that with a 7 month old at home! Until then my trusty cav will have to do. .. bring on the one ton cup revisit. ..Smithy you keen join us for that!? We can swap wtf stories from the shipping world!

Nah, I think the Chiefs still get more than us in Aus. And so they should. Lotta responsibility.

What boat are you sailing on? Always keen for a yot if if fits in with the time off!

Was on the Blue Bridge across the strait yesterday and I guess because I was thinking about it a little more, I was shocked at how much vibration there was from the prop, when in any turning maneuver. One prop running in reverse. The rear of the vessel bounces around badly and I was thinking of the strains that must be being placed on all that running gear and especially the shaft.

Was on the Blue Bridge across the strait yesterday and I guess because I was thinking about it a little more, I was shocked at how much vibration there was from the prop, when in any turning maneuver. One prop running in reverse. The rear of the vessel bounces around badly and I was thinking of the strains that must be being placed on all that running gear and especially the shaft.

Orge can tell you about the vibrations on an ASD tug :shock:

Archived