2 handed the future...

Two man, two boys combined age say 25 (random number) with no penalty in two handed races gives owner the chance to take his mate for a sail along with their kids.

This way "she who must be obeyed" gets rid of the "men" folk for the afternoon. Win win as I look at it :D

Being bored with nothing to do is a big problem, especially with the youth. I agree that sitting on the rail with nothing much to do for most of the time is DEAD BORING.

Likewise courses that become after 5 minutes aftyer the start, a simple follow the leader for the next 10+ hours = BORING.

My two man and a boy comments were to have an active youth running about doing all the adjustments, fetch and carry, check position / plotting etc. so he/she would be busy, really busy all day long doing stuff.

So perhaps we need to try a few races where all the crew must rotate positions regularily. So in a 2hr rum race, every 15 minutes all swap about could be one way to let all have a turn helming, trimming etc

Would work for all boats no matter the number of crew aboard except for those single handed sailors who can't decide which hand to use anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another feature, from racing in the Solent years ago, is that with our brilliant visibility and great sailing conditions, we have very few races where navigational decisions are critical. Which way to go after rounding xyz mark :?: To the island or mainland shore :?:

Perhaps we need some races where there are a series of buoys/islands that can be rounded in any order or alternatives

e.g. Marks in a choice of: abcd or adbc or acdb etc order.

I agree with Scubash. New sailors / beginners are better learning in a crew of 4 or more on a boat vs starting single handidly with oh so much to learn.

:think: :think:

For my own daughters (7 to 11yrs), jumping straight into an opti was a big step. Perhaps going in a crew of 3 or 4 in a larger dinghy would have been a better introduction. Girls seem to learn better in a team, and from what I have seen, most boys don't need that as they know it all anyway. (My 2cents of life)

Quite like the idea of having to change jobs every 15 minutes. Sounds like more fun for everyone on board.

Archived