Anchor Connections Warning!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is an image of an Anchor swivel, common in NZ, that has failed due to side loading.     In this case the anchor actually held, but fell off the chain while the anchor was being retrieved!  

think my older style is fine directly to the anchor   how it should be done?   how it shouldn't be done

wow thats just confirmed my impression of them,shiney junk

Posted Images

No idea sorry eruptn, I've never heard of a 'transport rated' shackle. I'd say that's just a marketing comment. Most shackles we supply to the trailer guys and most I see are the Green Pin knock-offs. I've never seen anything different in the trailer shackle dept than we can get in the marine. I'd say the term will be being used by a offshore mob, probably Aussies as they love to think what they do we must also, in a marketing talk up. NZ5467 is a trailer std but it's old and very rarely heard of these days.

Anything 'rated' should have paperwork hat shows all you need to know about it. I am assuming here the paperwork is the real McCoy. Yesterday I got a certificate for 12mm DIN766 short link chain. It reported the chain was of country X origin and complied with the DIN766 Std. But I knew the chain was made in country Y and there is no 12mm in the DIN Std. That is becoming more common sadly.

Yes that is one option that removes a big whack of the side load issue Kevin. That's called a Universal swivel.

A H Lock - this is just is generic photo. Most are just painted steel but you an get them with rust preventative coatings. You want to be a little cautious in which ones of these to use but then these sorts of fittings are for top end anchor rodes which are usually only the realm of enthusiasts who generally don't shop for serious gear at supermarket like outfits. You can also get them in Stainless but the steel are a lot stronger.

ham.jpg

And a Anchor straightener. See how it's bent. You set it up so the bend is upwards when you anchor is sitting home. When you retrieve if your anchor is backwards when the bend hits your roller it falls over and the anchor is now in the correct orientation to come on in. That is SS one which do cost a bit but them they are a few kg of solid SS. Most use galv which are pretty cheap. The chain goes inn the left end, which swivels, the anchor on the right end via a shackle.

stra.jpg

There are lots of good reasons to have swivels. Every mooring in the country has a swivel on it, as do all the harbour marks, commercial ships, superboats and things like the iron sand buoy, research buoys and arrays, etc.

Recreational anchoring by a very long country mile has the smallest % of systems with swivels in them in proportion to the total number of systems in use worldwide. Recreational is very much the exception and far from the norm if you look at all the anchor/mooring systems in the world.

There certainly are issues only swivels can tame. 

Yep, I have found my setup requires a swivel. Without it the chain becomes a mess, and hard to recover - not every time, bust esp if anchored for long periods, and or if the boat does circles at the anchor. Tide, currents, wind, whatever. Around here, anchored overnight only, probably not required. 

If you have no problem without one, cool, dont add one! Simple is good!